Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stock Shocks squeaking after lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 02:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stock Shocks squeaking after lowering springs?

I lowered my car 2.5 inches in the front and 2.0 inches in the back without changing from the stock shocks. Everything was fine for the first thousand miles but now something is squeaking every bump I hit. I thought it might be the LCA's since I did not do Relocation Brackets and it might have loosened them due to the incorrect suspension geometry. But I tightened them and the squeaking continues. Btw, The LCA's were solid tight. Could it be one of the factory shocks going bad? Sounds like it is coming from the back. What else can I check for?
I know some of you are wondering so.. I cut the springs because I screwed up and got a low profile tire in the front. It made my car look like a boat. Even if I got an aftermarket spring it would still look the same so this was my only option. Next time I get tires I will get the correct size and will be doing a set of Hotchkis springs with the SLP Bilsteins. I will be doing Hotckis SFC's, LCA's, APHR and BMR bolt on relocation brackets in a couple of weeks.

<small>[ September 02, 2002, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: SStolen ]</small>
Old 09-02-2002, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stock Shocks squeaking after lowering springs?

Thats pretty damn low for stock shocks. Id be worried about a setup like that. Sounds dangerous.

If you bought the wrong tires you should get some good shocks like Konis and get some ground control adjustable springs. Then you can set it any height you want.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Sounds like a bushing issue to me. I had the same problem and thought it was the shocks. I ended up getting under the car while someone pushed down on it and located the problem. You can use a little lithium grease on it to fix if that is the problem.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:44 PM
Launching!

do u have any pics of the car, i'd like to see one that is lowered that much

Quick Reply: Stock Shocks squeaking after lowering springs?