Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Seal a flat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seal a flat?

How safe it is to get a puncture in your tire repaired?

Safe to race on? The puncture is in the middle of the tire.

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Seal a flat?

I've had plenty of punctures repaired on race tires, but they've been mainly for autocrossing, which is almost always under 60 MPH. If you're talking about speeds that may stay above 100 MPH for a period of time, I'd make sure the mechanic really knows what he's doing and uses a patch from the inside of the tire. Even then, I'd think long and hard about whether you'd not rather just have a new tire. You're asking a race tire to do a lot of things a normal street tire can never do, and that patch is designed for street tires.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:46 AM
TECH Regular

Was the hole patched? I have had Nitto DR's patched before and raced. Took the car to 160 on a patched tire.

<small>[ October 13, 2002, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: PewterZ ]</small>
Old 10-13-2002, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

I've always used plugs. I've never felt safe with patches and can't seem to find anyone that can do one that doesn't start leaking again anyway.

I use the brown plugs not the black ones. The brown ones seem alot more pliable and I use plenty of cement glue. Ream out the hole (yeah baby!) apply rubber cement, ream some more (aah yeah), apply more rubber cement, and plug the hole (uhuh) then trim the plug.

I terrorize my tires and I've never had one fail because of a plug. Plenty of 100mph+ sprints.

The only time I'd be leary is if the hole's on the shoulder where it starts curving up.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

The problem with plugs are that they can cause belt seperation...
Old 10-15-2002, 12:24 AM
TECH Resident

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by EXTREME RACING:
<strong>The problem with plugs are that they can cause belt seperation...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I guess they COULD although I've never had that problem that I know of and I've put plugs in about every popular HI-PO tire out there except DRs.

I don't think the plug could do much more damage than the object that made the hole though. Your ideas?

Quick Reply: Seal a flat?