Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

coil over shocks

Old 10-25-2002, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coil over shocks

Are coil over shocks really worth the price, even if they are used only on the street? I've heard the real advantage of the coil over shock is the variable adjustment for ride height on all four wheels.

Since I'm in the market for getting new shocks and springs, I'm trying to decide between standard spring/shock configuration or the coil-over-shock version. I won't be road racing or drag racing, but would like to improve my street handling without overkill or unecessary spending on parts that would serve no better on the street.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: coil over shocks

Another advantage to coilovers is that your available spring rates are pretty much infinite. You don't have to worry about spring diameter, perch style (flat or stepped), etc... all you have to worry about is spring length.

To see what I am talking about, go to Eibach's site, and look under their racing springs in a 12" length, with a 2.5" ID (look for the ERS-MAIN line). LOTS of choices.

The reason I am leaning heavily towards coilovers is because I like the ability to choose damn near whatever spring rate I like, as well as adjust my ride height as necessary to make sure my headers, etc... clear.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. Now I know that Coil over shock systems aren't the gimmick that a suspension tech auto instructor made it out to be. I'm sure saving up for a good set.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. Now I know that Coil over shock systems aren't the gimmick that a suspension tech auto instructor made it out to be. I'm sure saving up for a good set.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coil over shocks