Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Non F-body suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 08:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Non F-body suspension question

I have an 89 Pontiac LeMans as a daily driver. The past couple days when the car is cold, I notice something weird when I come to a stop. It's a FWD car, no independent rear, with rear drum brakes. As I come to a stop, I'll feel the right rear actually pull down. When I release or ease off the brakes it comes back up. That right rear tire is tilted in a little so I wonder if the wheel bearing is f'd up in there. Maybe it's getting hung up and twisting the axle forward, bringing the car down on that side?
Old 10-30-2002, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Non F-body suspension question

Most of GM's front rear drive cars in the mid 90's used a trailing arm suspension in the rear (a front pivot point with springs behind or over the axle) and those will squat under braking (set the e-brake and try to drive forward, the rear will squat). I suspect that you have a rear brake sticking and it is causing a similar squat on one side of the vehicle. If the rear shocks are worn it will make the problem even worse. As for the wheel being tilted, look for broken or bent suspension mountings (for the rear wheel) and make sure that there is not anything more wrong back there. I'm sure you will see anything else that may be blatantly wrong. Good luck.