Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

NITTO`s

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 07:42 PM
al
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NITTO`s

Dose Nitto make the NT555RII Ex for my stock 16x8s. I know that these tires have stiff side walls but will they hook up good off the line? I want the stiff side walls for handeling but want the soft rubber for hooking up off the line. Also how would you compare the softness of the Nitto drag radials to my stock GS As. Softer or Stiffer
Old 11-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Coal Mining Director

Default Re: NITTO`s

The tread compound of the Nitto dr's is much softer than your stock tires. I know people running dr's on all four wheels and the car handles fine. One drawback is the soft compound picks up and throws gravel.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As of a few months ago the RII's were only available in a 275/40/17 size, but I expect they will expand the line to include other sizes.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:58 PM
TECH Veteran

tread will be softer, but sidewalls will be about the same... Nittos are not like a ET street(hense there sidewalls dont flex)
Old 11-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Launching!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 98TAauto:
<strong>tread will be softer, but sidewalls will be about the same... Nittos are not like a ET street(hense there sidewalls dont flex)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I agree, aired up to the same pressure, I don't think you'll feel the sidewalls flex any more than stock tires.

I run the Nitto 275/40/17 on the back of my daily driver SS. For daily driving most people recommend 24-28psi max or you will wear out the centers fast. I usually run 28psi cold, and have about 8000 miles on them with pretty even wear. At 24-28psi, they will feel a little sloppy taking corners hard, but if you Auto-X or run a road course, increase the pressure to 35 col, 40 or so hot, and they will not feel sloppy. They will grip WAY!! better than the stock tires...

I would think the 16" tires would show similar results - don't know, I can only compare what I have run on a road course - stock Goodyear F1 vs. Nitto drag radials on all 4's in 275/40/17 size.

The difference is night and day. Some "real" road racing tires (Hoosiers, Khumos, Nitto 555RII's) would probably be a little better, but the plain old Nitto drag radials actually do pretty good - really good compared to stock tires.

Quick Reply: NITTO`s