Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which is better to have scrape...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is better to have scrape...

Headers or SFCs? I'm looking at the boxed BMR SFCs since those seem to be the strongest, but they do seem pretty low and would probably scrape. But as it is now, if anything scrapes, its my headers, so in actuality, having the SFCs scrape would be better than having the headers scrape. But, since the BMR's are powder coated, will that mess them up?

So should I go w/ the boxed and just let them scrape away or go w/ the tubular that'll tuck better?
Old 11-26-2002, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Which is better to have scrape...

I don't like to have anything scrape (if I can avoid it)...but, subframe connectors will take alot more abuse than headers ever will. If you have to drag one or the other, I'd drag my subframe connectors and save the headers. I am running SLP subframe connectors and H&R stage 2 springs and I sometimes drag the floor pan brace or just bump my exhaust over some speed bumps, but I have few problems with clearance on my own car (not running headers yet....). A good impact can crack header tubes or really bend things up, subframe connectors will live through alot more of that stuff. Hope that helps you out.....good luck.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

It will scratch up the powder coating, but you can fix that by getting a few cans of spray in bedliner from autozone (and others). It is really durable and will take a fair amount of abuse.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Well I plan on lowering and I figure I'll scrape either way, so I might as well make sure it's the SFCs scraping and not my headers. So for the sacrifice of ground clearance, I'm hoping I'll save my headers. Does this sound stupid? Reducing my ground clearance on purpose so I can reduce wear and tear on my headers?
Old 11-28-2002, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

With the price of headers and how difficult they can be to install, I'd beat on my subframe connectors any day (instead of headers). The good news is that the subframe connectors will make your car feel "new" (or better) much longer since it eliminates much of the chassis flex that weakens the body. Like I said, I have SLP's welded in my car, they are large (but they tuck in pretty well) and I rarely have a problem (lowered 1.25 inches or so). I think you'll be impressed with the difference and your headers will thank you. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

A set of 1LE front springs and stock rears with revalved Bilsteins will handle really well and be an order of magnitude less hassle with scraping.

Quick Reply: Which is better to have scrape...