Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

315s, 17x11, prokit and issues...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 315s, 17x11, prokit and issues...

The inner side wall of the tire rubs the tab where the bump stop bolts on. I've got an adjustable PHB, and have the rear end dead centered. On bumps, the top of the tire finds the top of the fender lip. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 315s, 17x11, prokit and issues...

Which Wheels do you have? I seem to remember reading that the ZR-1 offset will do this and the Grandsport offset will not, someone will have to back me up on that one though. My buddy is running 17X11 Torque thrusts with no problem.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

I've got TT2s also.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 17x11 ZR1's with the 50mm offset.. I also have the eibach pro kit.. I weigh alot so I had to do a little banging in my inner wheel well.. I have an adjustable panhard as well.. Mine is centered.. I am one of the few cars that you can look from the back and see the wheels tucked under the car.. It took me about 15 minutes a side of banging. You will see exactly where all the rubbing is once you pull the tire.. Better shocks will prevent your car from moving so much as well..
Old 12-01-2002, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I also have the 17x11 zri rims w/ 315 nittos. i have an adjustable panhard rod as well. it rubs just a little on a hard turn but that is the only time. if i would take the time to bang in the inner fender it would not rub at all. i am running bilsteins with lowering springs about a 1.5 drop. also if i jack the car up the rims will catch on the bump stop so you could grind the edge of that a 1/8 inch and you would proably clear it.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

I put the rear prokit springs back on today. The rear sits alot lower than the front. Same situation: small bumbs cause tire to hit fender lip. Either my springs are complete sh@$, or others are willing to tolerate much more than I am. A second gear punch hits real bad. This can't be safe. I guess I'll try stock rear springs with the rubber hose mod. The stock springs felt alot firmer as well.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Koni makes a bump stop that fits on the shock (called a bump rubber) and you can use "packers" (plastic spacers) to adjust how much travel you have before the bump stops make contact. Remove your rear shocks, take the nuts and rubber mounts off of the top and slide the "dust cover" off the shock, slide on a bump rubber and slide the shock back in the car, measure from the axle to the bump stop and from the top of the shock body to the bump rubber and add "packers" (also from koni) until you have the same clearance (actually slightly less distance, the snocks are inboard of the bump stops and the bump rubbers will need to be slightly lower) after you adjust this distance, remove the shock, put the dustcover back on and you can remove your factory bumpstops and part of the mount if necessary. You can get bump rubbers and packers from www.truechoice.com or you may check with sam strano (I'm sure sam can help you out as well). I hope this makes life easier for you guys. (packers and bump rubbers are used in racing/autocross cars all the time...not seen much on the street, but they work great). If this is confusing, drop me a line and I'll try to explain better (or maybe I can take photos under my car and show where to measure and how this looks). Good luck.

Quick Reply: 315s, 17x11, prokit and issues...