Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

TT2's and Big Brake Kits

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TT2's and Big Brake Kits

Does anyone know of a big brake kit that will work with my 17x9.5" ARE Torque Thrust 2's ?

I'm sure someone on this site has to have a big brake kit with these damn wheels so please help me out !
Old 12-22-2002, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: TT2's and Big Brake Kits

I doubt it. On the front, the spokes of the TT II's are nearly touching the calipers on the stock rotors. Around 1/8" of clearance I'd say. If you were to get bigger rotors, and displace the caliper further out, it would hit the spokes. Unless it was a complete aftermarket setup that had skinnier calipers, you might have some luck. Most aftermarket brake guys have templates that you can build to test clearance. I'd try that out.

Dope
Old 12-22-2002, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your exactly right, there is little clearance. I used the Baer 13.15 (GTP Setup) template and it barely fits, almost to the point where I'd say it wont fit. There's a small lip on the radial side of the rim that blows it, not to mention the fact that it would shear the damn weights off. I've looked at another kit that had the Wilwood 6's and the radial cleared but the spoke clearance failed miserably (approximately 1").

Anyone else out their who has fit a big brake kit to a set of 17x9.5" TT2's chime in and share your knowledge.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dope:
<strong>I doubt it. On the front, the spokes of the TT II's are nearly touching the calipers on the stock rotors. Around 1/8" of clearance I'd say. If you were to get bigger rotors, and displace the caliper further out, it would hit the spokes. Unless it was a complete aftermarket setup that had skinnier calipers, you might have some luck. Most aftermarket brake guys have templates that you can build to test clearance. I'd try that out.

Dope</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Old 12-23-2002, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TTT for ya, I'd like to know too. I'm especially curious about the C5 vette brake conversion, they are 'only' 12.8" I think, with stock style calipers, they MIGHT just fit.

If you don't have TT II's already, American Racing does sell them in custom offsets. I don't know how $$$ it is or how feasible it is, but that extra little bit (1/4") might be worth it to you.

Dope

Quick Reply: TT2's and Big Brake Kits