Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how to adjust a panhard rod ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to adjust a panhard rod ?

I just got it but its not on the car yet but when I put it on how do I go about measuring to know how far to adjust it so it sits right and everything is lined up..the rod is only adjustable at one end and not both if that matters at all ....the only other thing so far is that its been lowered....thanks
Old 12-25-2002, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: how to adjust a panhard rod ?

I cant really tell u how to adjust it but since its only adjustable on one end your gona have to do trial and error. If it was double adjustable you just turn the bar itself and lock it in with the nuts.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

First, make sure the axle is loaded{either pull the rear up on ramps or jack it up and place the jack stands under the axle}. Make sure there is about the same amount of weight on the rear as when it is sitting on the ground. In other words, try not to get the rear 4 feet of the ground with the front not jacked up at all. Best way is to have the front jacked up about level with the rear but you can do it with the rear up on a small set of ramps. Also, make sure the car is level.
The way I measured the axle center was to tape a plumbbob to each rear fender directly over and centered with the rear tire. A string with a large nut or bolt tied to it will work.
If you are running rather large rear tires that stick out any past the top of the fenders, either put some narrower tires on the back or take them off and measure from the string to the axle flange. Either way, make sure you have the string in the same place on the fenders and measure to the same spot on the axle/tire/rim.
You can also measure from the inner fender to the tire/rim. This is actually more of a pain in the rear to do than the plumbbob method.
Adjust till you get the same measurement on both sides. The plumbbob thing sounds overly complicated when writeing it all down-it isn't at all and it will make sure the axle is perfectly centered.
As the other guy said, you will have to take the bar off each time to adjust it. With a double adjustable you would just loosen the jam nuts and turn the bar itself. No problem, it will just take a little longer.
One last thing, when you take the bar off and put it back on you might have to lift the body a smidge to get the bolt through the mount and bar. Once you get the bar on, push down a few times on the rear of the car a few times to settle the rear suspension. That's about it as far as I can remember, it sound like alot-it ain't. Less than 2 hours and some of that time is just getting the car up off the ground and level.

<small>[ December 26, 2002, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Judd ]</small>
Old 12-26-2002, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know if I can explain it all that well but I'll try, we did a friends SS on my drive on type lift. You want the car level, same amout of weight and suspension loaded like Judd mentioned. Remove the stock panhard rod and adjust the the new one to the same length, that will get you started. I placed a piece of masking tape on the rear fenders centered above the wheel and marked it, place a four foot level on the tape mark and plumb the level. I measured from the center cap of each rear wheel and adjusted the new panhard rod until I had the same measurements on each side, tightened down the jam nut and that's it.

Al
Old 12-27-2002, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put my adjustable side by side with the stock unit and adjusted to the length of the stock unit.

I installed it.

I sprayed my driveway down with a pool of water and rolled my car through it.

I looked at the water tracks the tires made coming out the other side and checked to see if the front and rear tires were rolling exactly on top of each other.

I adjusted PHB length accordingly.

Quick Reply: how to adjust a panhard rod ?