Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I need a good street brake pad

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need a good street brake pad

What is a good street brake pad? I am using the Hawk HP +, and they stop like mad, but are noisy. I would like to keep them for track use.
How are the Hawk HB?

Thanks
Brad Oblak
Old 01-10-2003, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: I need a good street brake pad

HB?
You mean Hawk Blues or Hawk Blacks? (both are serious racing use, they will act like concerte pads on your rotors if used on the street)

Otherwise look into the Hawk HPS.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call Larry at carbotech (www.carbotecheng.com) and check out his street compound pads (super street). I have used them before and they work great for agressive street use (not really designed as a track pad....but a great street pad). Just my $.02....

Good Luck.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

GM sells two grades of pads for my '99 SS. I forget their names but one set is under $100 and the other is over $100 (dealer retail). Since I got 40K+ out of the original pads--and still had some meat left--I installed the higher priced pads along with new (JC Whitney) rotors.

The rotors have been excellent for over 12K and the pads don't squeal or give excessive dust. If I get the same mileage from the replacement pads as the originals, I will be very satisfied.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I also had a problem with hawks,very noisy.
I switched to the GM pads an I have no noise.
don't know how long they will last.
Mine were not cheap, almost 200.00 for front & back from dealer.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:37 PM

I understand what you are talking about. Let me help. I highly recommend the Raybestos BruteStop brake pads. These are not the general service Raybestos pad.They use them on sever duty apps' like police cars/ambulances. I didn't care for the stock pads that came on my 99' Z281LE. These are excellent for hard street use, but will not ruin your rotors. The part number is, BD749M or D749. You will have to find a dealer that is a stocking Raybestos dealer. You will more than likey need to special order. They are a little more expensive than your regular pads. You will have increased brake dust, but the pad really works. They are not noisy either. They don't fade even under the oppressive 112 degree Texas summers. I love em' and found them to be an excellent performer even with my occassional 165mph jaunt. Hope I helped. Don't let em' sell you an alternative make sure the box has "BruteStop." They're so good even agencies like the Secret Service use em' on the autos.

Quick Reply: I need a good street brake pad