Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

If stb do anything when...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If stb do anything when...

If Stb do help in hard cornering then why don't bmr or any one for that matter, put a adj. nut at both ends like APHR. IMO a BMR style would have great sadvatages over even a 3point, However one could over do it and spring load the front end.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: If stb do anything when...

I am not a chassis engineer and I hope if there is one in the crowd he can correct me.

A stb is designed to minimize lateral flex between the strut towers and help maintain steering geometry. Making it adjustable would have you moving the upper a-arms, upper ball joint, steering knuckle,etc. and stressing the front clip by trying to move the sides closer together or farther apart (this alone would make trying to adjust the space between the strut towers very difficult).

Having a rigid chassis is essential for good handling and the stb helps tie the two sides of the front subframe together more rigidly which will, at least to a small degree, make the car handle better.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: If stb do anything when...

1bad2k2ta just about nailed it. That is about the perfect answer. It's a support or brace, not there to preload the chassis.