Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

weight limits

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weight limits

Can someone tell me the best way to increase the weight capacity for the rear of a 2001 SS. I have added about 300 lbs of stereo and video equipment and am sagging bad in the rear.
I was told I could get some adjustable coilovers that would do the trick. I just want to get back to an inch below stock and have close to the stock stiffness back in the turns.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: weight limits

You can try adding rubber spring spacers to the rear springs (you can get them at most autoparts stores. Or, you can add a set of airbags to the rear and add air until it sits level. Third option is to get a set of rear spring adjustable perches from www.ground-control.com and use your stock springs (or heavier springs from ground control and the adjustable perches) to raise the rear end back to where you want it. Those ideas should get you started....good luck.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen no coilover kits for the rear end that don't require much welding and reinforcement of the rear shock mounts....just thought I'd mention that.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I just actually just ordered a ground control kit that comes with a set if eibach springs. When I ordered it I was told that it bolted right in. This kit is supposed to go right over the Bilstein shocks that came on it. When I ordered the kit they also upgraded the springs for a higher capacity for the rear for a little extra. I will tell you how it goes when I get them on.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Quick Reply: weight limits