Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Another brake pad question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Another brake pad question

Alright,

I tried searching but could not find a specific answer to my question. The problem I am having is that my "lifetime warranty" brake pads are eating up my stock rotors. Is there a good pad that will not eat up the stock rotor? I don't auto-X or anything like that so I don't need Hawk blues or anything.

Thanks in advance,

Russ
Old 01-15-2003, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Another brake pad question

1) What pads are you using now?

2) GM durastops, cheap autozone carbotech, and the stock pads did not 'eat' the rotors.

There are others of course.

Check the hawk brake site for a rundown on their pads. It is helpful info.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was running Oreilly's lifetime pads, but they ate the rotors almost all the way down to discard thickness in 40K miles. I was told by the salesman that they would not eat the rotors, that's why I bought them. Now I have midas lifetime pads which I was again told would not eat the rotors. In a year or so, I'll probably be through the rotor so I'll need to replace them. I'm thinking something like the baer eradispeeds or the brembo OEM replacements. However, I don't want to tear these new rotors up with rough pads. I'd like to get a pad that is softer than the rotor so that the pad wears out and not the rotor.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Raybestos BruteStop brake pads on my 99'Z28 1LE. I didn't care for the stock pads. These are a good street performance pad. They are not the standard Raybestos pad. They use these in heavy duty police/ambulance applications. They are little pricey. The part number is BD749M or D749. These are for the front. You will need to find a dealer that stocks Raybestos. More than likey you will have to have them special ordered. They do increase brake dust, but they will not wear out your rotors. I like em' and found them to be excellent stopping power even with the occassional 165mph jaunt.