Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Questions about Air suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006 | 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Questions about Air suspension...

Are air suspension setups mostly for show? Or do they actually perform well? The ability to change the ride characteristics with the flip of a switch is definately cool, but if it doesn't hold up under load it isn't worth it to me. And I'm guessing there's a reason you don't see to many of them... enlighten me.
Old 07-30-2006 | 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Air Ride has been hosting a track day event for cars with full air ride systems in them for several years now. They're really touting how well they handle and the point it to show that they're not just for show. There was a segment on Horsepower TV from that event where they let people drive a stock SS around the course. Then over lunch they swapped over to Air Ride suspension in the car and let the people drive it again. From what they said it was a big improvement. I'm thinking about doing it on my car. The thing is from what I priced out it's only a few hundred more to go with the computerized 4 setting ride computer and air setup than it is go to with Koni DA's and quality lowering springs. Call up Air Ride and discuss it with them and see what they have to say.
Old 08-02-2006 | 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm suuuure discussing it with Air Ride will yield an unbiased opinion... because they're not trying to sell me anything... I'll give it a shot still. Anyone else have any personal experience? can the bags themselves handle the forces of hard cornering?
Old 08-02-2006 | 05:29 PM
12 Second Club

Pick up the September issue of Super Chevy. They have Air Ride's 71 Camaro and an UNBIASED test of their suspension on an 88 IROC. I'm saving my pennies for an air suspension now.
Old 08-02-2006 | 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are they still using Hal/qa1 shocks? If so, they need better shocks.
Old 08-02-2006 | 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

The 3rd gens can still use stock/aftermarket replacement Struts. They don't have the coil on strut like the 4th gens have. The shockwaves for the 4th gens do use the HAL/QA1 shocks. What's so bad about them?
Old 08-02-2006 | 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

How much is the weight difference between a traditional aftermarket suspension setup, and an air setup?
Old 08-02-2006 | 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

I'm assuming it's gonna weigh a few pounds more because of the air tank, compressor, and solenoids and control computer. I wouldn't think much more than 10-15lbs for all of it.
Old 08-03-2006 | 10:39 AM
Teching In

We are using Chassis Works' Varishock. We have them in single adj. or double adj.
Suspension wise it is a bit lighter, but the comp. kit is usually around 25 lbs. So yea, about 15lbs heavier.
Old 08-03-2006 | 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

There was a thread a couple weeks back here from a guy that had the whole setup on his car. You might dig it up and ask him what he thinks of it now, after having driven on it for a while.

The one thing pointed out to me that I didn't like was that the ride height/spring rate is exactly backwards of a conventional spring. What I mean is, the higher you go (more air in the bag), the stiffer the "spring", and the lower you go, the softer the "spring". Coil springs are setup the opposite way, so damping that may be more of a challenge.

-Mike
Old 08-03-2006 | 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm w chupr0kabra, having to sit high to have higher rate seems backward in terms of handling. The constant changing rate and hieght would make it difficult to have the shocks set idealy.

Also think of how much your alignment specs change throughout the ride hieght change. You can only set it for one hieght making it off for the rest. To me this is just to have that kool in the weeds look. Not the ticket for a real world performance car. Just my HO.
Old 08-04-2006 | 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by subtlez28
I'm w chupr0kabra, having to sit high to have higher rate seems backward in terms of handling. The constant changing rate and hieght would make it difficult to have the shocks set idealy.

Also think of how much your alignment specs change throughout the ride hieght change. You can only set it for one hieght making it off for the rest. To me this is just to have that kool in the weeds look. Not the ticket for a real world performance car. Just my HO.
That makes sense... I think I'll just put up with a bit of a harsh ride at times, and go stupidly slow over all the potholes in these annoying MO roads! Thanks, any more?
Old 09-24-2006 | 03:31 AM
Launching!

ive got i order an on its way, i bought cause i have a sts setup, i cant stand it not being lowered or when it is lowerd hit stuff with my turbo, so its a must for me if i want my ride to look good at shows

Quick Reply: Questions about Air suspension...