Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Handling feels messed up. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003 | 09:03 PM
Launching!

Default Handling feels messed up. Need help!

I got a Moser 12 bolt installed a little over a month ago. After I got the car back, I noticed it rode a little stiffer, but everything felt ok. Well, recently, I noticed a slight rattle in the rear (haven't pinpointed it yet). Tonight I was driving the car and it really felt weird. The car felt a little extra drifty towards the left especially and going around a couple turns quicly made the car feel like it was almost floating on the rear (kinda felt detached from the car). I'm thinking one of the below might be the trouble:

1. Loose torque arm????
2. Rear axle not centered with panhard (adj)????
3. Loose LCA's/TA???? (BMR LCA's, stock TA)
4. Springs/shocks bad???? (both stock)
5. Cold weather/salty roads????

I don't know whether I'm just getting worried over nothing or there's a real problem.

Chris
Old 02-12-2003 | 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Handling feels messed up. Need help!

Make sure that everything is tight...that is a great place to start. Then, measure from the axle mounting points on the chassis to the axle (not the axle mounts, but the actual axle)...use a plumbob on the axle housing if you have to and verify that it is installed straight (this will verify that the mounts are welded on straight).

THe panhard rod should not make much difference (as far as pulling to one side). If the axle were off by a large amount (and I don't think it could actually be far enough off to matter...probably a couple inches to make a big difference) it could make the car want to turn (think of pushing a shopping cart by one corner, one wheel sticking out a long way could act that way). I don't think it's likely.

What kind of diff did you install? Locker, clutch type, or torque biasing (hopefully not a spool), a stiff diferential will make the inside wheel "slide" around corners, even more so on a slippery salt covered road (where grip is limited) and this well make the car tend to "skate" around corners. I'd vote for this option (after having tire spin problems on a salty exit ramp at 70 plus mph in 2nd gear recently....that stuff can make it slick). If it is a spool or a heavy duty locker, this is even more likely the answer. Sorry this is so long, I hope it helps. Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2003 | 10:02 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Handling feels messed up. Need help!

Yeah, I'll have to crawl under the car and check everything. Hopefully it'll be warmer tomorrow to do that after work.

It can't be the panhard then, b/c if it's off at all (which I'm not too sure), it's only a little bit.

The diff is a 30 spline eaton posi (clutch type). It sometimes kinda shakes going around corners if I give it too much gas, but this feeling was different. I was going around a circle and started coming in with the wheel to go right and then swung it back left (which usually produces a nice slight sway feeling) and the car felt like I was swinging the body free of the rear (easiest way to explain).

Chris