Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

knocking noise?! help me out please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default knocking noise?! help me out please!!!

well when i make some left hand turns and sometimes on right hand turns i can her a knocking noise from the rear end. sometimes i hear it when i throw in the clutch and slow down. now the guy who had the car before me said that he bent the right rear rim a little when he hit a pot hole, i have heard its the rear shocks that may make that noise. so i figured that he might have tore it up. im going to the dealer to see if i can have it replaced under warranty. i also heard it might be the tranny mount but i replaced that so it wasnt that. let me know what you all think please! if they dont replace it what kinda shocks should i get? bilsteins? its a ws6 by the way, thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: knocking noise?! help me out please!!!

Knocking? Popping? Does the rear axle move around or does the car track incorrectly....if you have more info, that would help alot. (only over bumps, potholes, when you slam 2nd gear, etc). Thanks....
Old 03-10-2003, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not over pot holes or anything, what it kinda sounds like it might be from the bent rim, its a normal pattern in the noise, the slower you go the farther and farther appart the knocking is, its mainly around corners, not hard corners just slight corners, and sometimes when i go to slow down to turn. its really hard to explain, haha. what i might do is rotate my tires and see if the problem goes away, if it does ill knwo its the rim. hope this will do lol
Old 03-10-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toss your spare on in place of the curbed rim. Drive it down the street and see if it goes away. If that doesn't cure it, check your u-joints and wheel bearings, or a pinion bearing or carrier bearing in the rear can do that as well. A friends fiancee had a pinion bearing go bad in her 97 Z automatic (and she dosen't beat it up) and it eventually got quite loud and had a similar "pattern" to the noise...so, rims, tires or bearings....for starters. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry rattling in back of car

this happens to my car as well, its been happening since i got it brand new. i don’t beat on it and the car is in perfect condition. the car it self has only 7500 miles on it. i had it in the shop 3 times and they cant figure out whats wrong with it. it is a 2002 camaro z28, auto, with 2.23 rear end. it seems to happen when i drift to the left or slow to around 15- 25 mph. it is very annoying

Last edited by madgozer; 04-25-2004 at 10:55 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Teching In

I have the same problem on my 99 WS6. i Noticed it slightly when slowing down a few months back but as of 2 weeks ago after i kicked it sideways i notice it now when only going left. I rarley ever beat on the car just the occasional fun slide. The car has only 14K miles on it and is mint. It can almost be explained as it sounds like something is rubing against the driveshaft...But with the 12 degree weather we'
ve been having here in jersey im not about to lay under the car and figure it out. Looks like it'ss have to wait till spring when my baby come out again. Unless You all can tell me what it is.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:52 AM
Teching In

I sort of had that same problem.. but it was due to a loose control arm. I tightened it up and the knocking went away. This probably isn't the case with you guys, just thought I'd share.

Quick Reply: knocking noise?! help me out please!!!