Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What dose this go to on the caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What dose this go to on the caliper?

Went to autozone and picked up a retainer clip kit for the 2000 Z. when i got it i opened it up and looked at all the parts and then noticed that there were these two little clips that i hadnt never seen on my car taht were in the kit. so i took a pic and am posting it over here to see if anyone knows where it goes.

it's the one that you see on the bottom right hand corner. also on the other clips that hold the pads together, is there a tab that you have to bend some how or somthing? i think this may be why my caliper is making all the clanking sounds...anyways hope someone can shine in on this and help me out. thanks in advance!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each of clips will fit nicely into their respective places. They may need a wiggle or two, but they fit well. At least, I've never had any trouble with the ones I've done.

The two butterfly-looking things go in the top of the calipers, right above the pads and touching them. I didn't get any clips in my pad kit last week but there wasn't anything wrong with the ones I had. They wire-brushed very clean.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 08-06-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol yeah i dindt know where they went becoase they didnt have any when i took tem off! well i already put them on so lets see if that takes care of the clankin.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clips you are referring to are Anti-Rattle clips - and that's exactly waht they do - stop the pads from rattling/moving around. The other (4) clips are the pad sliders - ear of each pad slides in the formed slots during operation.

If you look at your calipers there is a slot (window) in the top middle. The anti-rattle clips install directly behind this window on the pad side of the caliper such that the butterfly wings will press against the top edge of the pads when they are installed.

The tabs on the clips go into the window to retain the clip - there is a correct install direction for the big tab vs. the small tab. I can't remember perfectly - but I'm thinking the large tab installs into the window nearest the caliper piston.

-Jay-
Old 08-07-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

it took care of it! such a little thing like that and it had me going around in circles not letting me figure out what it was, good thing my dad's friend told me to check those out....like i siad the caliper didnt eeven have on on there! thanks for all yalls help!!
Old 08-07-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I redid my rear pads last week and painted the calipers, bracket, and disc aluminum (header paint). I didn't think about it until this week (after some rain and the back of the pads got dirty) that they sure could have used a quick spray of red before I put them on...

Dang...now I gotta take all that apart again...

Quick Reply: What dose this go to on the caliper?