Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can someone explain poly/poly and rod/rod,heim joints to me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain poly/poly and rod/rod,heim joints to me?

not sure the difference between what rod/rod ends mean and poly/poly kinda know but not sure and im pretty sure about the spherical ends. thanks
Old 04-17-2003, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Can someone explain poly/poly and rod/rod,heim joints to me?

Heim joints, spherical rod ends, and spherical bearings are all different names for the same thing. It is an "end" used on control arms that are a "metal to metal" (many rod ends have a thin teflon liner between the shell and the bearing) construction. These will eliminate binding in the rear suspension and positively hold the axle in place (pretty much zero deflection).

The Poly/Poly bushing control arms are typically "boxed" steel or aluminum and are very rigid. They also can cause the rear axle to bind throughout the suspension travel. They are known to be a little more quiet than rod end type control arms, though, the better the quality of the rod ends, the less noise they seem to make. And the poly bushings are a type of plastic (think of it as an upgraded rubber bushing). I hope this helps you out.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so in reference to a panhard rod, which would be the better route to go? and thanks for the explanation.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the panhard rod, you can use one with poly bushings. The only rotational motion seen by the panhard rod (that would cause binding)is a little axle rototion during acceleration or braking. Personally, I prefer a rod end type panhard rod, they eliminate any bushing deflection and any traces of binding as well (but they make some noise). I use rod end style control arms for the same reasons as well.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain poly/poly and rod/rod,heim joints to me?