Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New rotors and pads...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: New rotors and pads...

As mentioned before, the brembo replacements are good rotors, ive run the Powerslot rotors and Hawk HPS pads and the earls stainless steel brake lines and have LOVED it, no warping on the powerslots after 24,000 miles, stops great, nice firm brake pedal feel as a result of the SS brake lines. Stops great, although the Hawk pads dust A LOT in my opinion.
Brian
Old 04-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Has anyone tried using power stop rotors??

www.powerstoprotors.com
Old 04-18-2003, 08:24 PM
Teching In

To give you more option, Auto Zone rotors are great for $38.99 each. I tried a set after many praise from the members here.

Though I have an access to a brake lathe for a very small fee, I'd rather buy a pair when it's time to replace them.

I love my stock pads, but I imagine Hawk HPS or comparable are good alternative too.

Oh, don't forget to flush your brake fluid, too.
Makes a world of difference (depending how old your current fluid is).

Aria

<small>[ April 18, 2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Beuke 23 ]</small>
Old 04-18-2003, 11:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running Brembo OEM's with Carbotech Panther XP pads...the rotors are holding up to autocross and street use with no problems. The pads are a little aggressive for most people for street use....but the rotors are outstanding (and I love the pads).
Old 04-19-2003, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Default New rotors and pads...

I've a got a 99 z28 and bumping 60,500 miles. I've been running the OEM rotors for the entire duration. The rotors have been "cut" twice and after each cut they have warped more and more easily. The shaking has gotten so bad comming down from highway speeds that it feels as if the front end of the car is going to fall off. I should have taken care of the problem much sooner but i've been a little short on cash as of late. Well i've put together some dough and i'm looking to get a really nice brake package... i dont have enough for a big brake kit or anything like that, but i think i'd be willing to spend around 3-400$ I've seen a post awhile back about JC Whitney rotors. Very low price, but i was wondering how they performed. ALSO ---- Which should i invest the most money in ... the rotor or the pad? Should new calipers also be an issue? --- Slotted vs. drilled, vs. slotted and drilled? My main goal here is to have the best stopping power for the $. I'm not overly concerned about break dust or anything like that, i wash the car as often as i can anyway.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:27 AM
Teching In

I would look at Brembo replacement rotors with Hawk HPS pads. Available from Tire Rack, a sponsor. This is a good and inexpensive package. You might also replace brake lines and fluid. Now if you have traction control Russell Performace Brake line kit is the only kit I have found, P/N 692170. I don't know of any sponsors that carry this line. Now if you have no traction control you can by an Earl's kit form Thunder Racing. For brake fliud Castrol LMR would work,can be purchased a PEP Boys or ... An upgrade here would be ATE, try OG Racing.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

From what I've seen, you don't really gain a whole lot of durability by going with some of the higher dollar rotors (Eradispeeds are the exception), unless you get an entire kit.

Based on the recommendation of a guy on here, I ended up putting on the JC Whitney rotors along with some Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads. I can't remember the guy who has them on here, but he has 12,000 miles on his without any hint of problems. I'm still breaking mine in for the initial 200 miles, but braking seems to take less pedal pressure vs. the previous dimpled rotors with unknown pads.

Rotors: Shipped + tax = $150
Pads: $42.50 with a lifetime warranty (Autozone)

Quick Reply: New rotors and pads...