Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

high speed vibration, expected or too much

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default high speed vibration, expected or too much

The car in question. 2001 ws6/ hotchkis subframe connects, lower control arms, strut tower brace, springs,lower control arms, panhard, anti-sways front&rear/currie 9" w 4/10 gears/coddington 18" wheels/mich pilot tires/ baer 6 piston brake setup with 15" rotors/ jegg's torque arm( mounts in the tranny tunnel). Okay that's about it as far as suspenision/drivetrain mods. Last night was the first time since a few of these mods were put on that I stretched the car out. It started at 115'sh and got progressivly worse until I let off at 137. Mad vibration!! My steering wheel didn't vibrate at all, just the whole chassis itself. Kinda like riding a skateboard with real tight trucks. lots of vibration but still real solid feeling. I'm used to driving big lifted trucks where there is so much tire and shock between me & the road, there is never vibration. So after all this typing my questions are. . Is this kind of vibration to be expected? Not totally normal but acceptable? or Is my car about to break apart?

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-24-2003, 07:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: high speed vibration, expected or too much

I'd check driveshaft balance, alignment and the setup on the rear end (as well as bad/damaged tires). Mine is hands off stable and quiet at 153 mph (and mostly stock at the time).
Old 04-26-2003, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cme on guys, I'm sure I'm not the only one in here with these types of bolt-ons that has gone over the speed limit?
Old 04-26-2003, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you that I would suspect that the Jegs torque arm will transmit a reasonable amount of noise and vibration into the vehicle (due to the way it mounts). The question is "what is reasonable?". without seeing the car, I really can't say. Sorry I can't be more help....good luck!

Quick Reply: high speed vibration, expected or too much