Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

traction how-to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction how-to?

I just purchased a sunset orange '01 ws6 m6 and have been completely entertained reading the posts on this site the last few days. sold a 95 m3 after spending way too much money on open track days at watkins glen, pocono, summit point. have a k&n filter, slp subframe connectors, and an slp "loudmouth" exhaust. i've only made two 1/4 mile passes, 14.4 @ 103 and 14.0 @ 105...i am terrible out of the hole, 2.6 and 2.4 60' times. i'm completely ignorant of all the stuff you guys take for granted so excuse if these are idiot questions: what does launching with the traction control "on" do to e.t. and trap speed? both runs i made so far traction control was off. i'd like to leave it on street tires and "play" from there...thanks. nice to be back behind an american v8 again!!
Old 04-24-2003, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: traction how-to?

Do not leave the traction control on. I did it once by accident and it isn't pretty. Basically you spin, then it just shuts off all your power and you end up pulling worse 60' times.

What you might want to look into for traction is some lower control arms, and relocation brackets. Also, an aftermarket adjustable torque arm will help.

Mostly what you need is practice. Eventually what you'll get is a feeling for just the right amount of spinning/slipping to get you out of the hole without bogging down, but not enough to just smoke the tires. I was in the same spot you were when I started. I couldn't cut a decent 60' to save my life, but then one day I just figured it out.

The other alternative and recomendation is get some drag radials. They help immensly.