Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006 | 01:56 PM
Launching!

Default power steering pump?

last night I was having some fun and was doing some donuts, after I was done I was pulling out of the parking lot and notice the steering was alot harder to turn unless of course I was already moving, its like I lost 50-75% of my power steering its kinda tuff to move the wheel when im stopped. Did I **** up my power steering pump when I turned on those donuts like that or what did I screw up?

Thanx for any advice
Old 08-13-2006 | 02:56 PM
Launching!

Did you check your fluid level?
Old 08-13-2006 | 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Automaticfastic
Did I **** up my power steering pump when I turned on those donuts like that or what did I screw up?

Thanx for any advice
You had the wheel full locked to one side and was turning the RPM at 5K or better for an extended period of time ...

I would say ... yes, it's hurt.

I doubt it's toast, but you killed much of the life of it.

You should buy a turkey baster and suck as much fluid out as possible and refill the reservoir with fresh fluid. Turn the car on and cycle the steering lock to lock a couple times. Kill the car and repeat.

Do it a 2 or 3 more times till you begin to see something other than hershey's chocolate coming out of the baster.

If you still have a heavy wheel, then it's probably time to look for a new pump.
Old 08-13-2006 | 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is very common on 4th Gen F-Bodies. The PS Pump runs at a speed proportional to the engine RPM and overpressurizes the fluid at WOT. This causes it to heat up and boil out. To drive it like you explained, you need a cooler and high temp PS fluid. If you want to go beyond that, you'll need an aftermarket racing pump.
Old 08-13-2006 | 10:15 PM
Launching!

yep thanks alot for the help kinda figured I screwed it up! I over done it on a good night,

Quick Reply: power steering pump?