Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

alignment question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default alignment question

Do you have to have the car aligned after swapping the front shock/strut on a 4th gen f body? I was planning on holding off until I put the LW k member and a arms on my car, but someone told me that it should be done after installing the R series HAL's. I reused the stock springs and set the ride height as close as I could to stock, it's withinn a 1/4 inch measuring the distance from the top of the front fender to the ground if that matters.

Thanks.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long you driving for? How much is tire wear and handling a concern? If it's only for a few weeks, you're not carving any corners, and/or you don't have $1000 tires - you should be OK. Just eyeball the tires to make sure they're not sticking out at some weird angle.

If it's going to be a few months, get an alignment. HINT - go to one of the places that does unlimited alignments for a year, 3 for $100, or something else. Saves money on more than 1.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:33 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Haven't driven it at all really since I put them on, other then to take the car and fillup the tank.... motor's got a loud tick, it's getting swapped end of this month. the car has a heavy drag rear swaybar on it, and it is preloaded, which caused teh car to slightly pull to the left alittle, but this seemed to be worse with the little I drove the car... I don't think the ride height is exactly perfect, as it' was hard ot get it set in the garage alone, workign the suspension with the shocks set as soft as possible to try to get teh car to sit at ride height wasn't easy, so one could be off a little in the front, probably what is causing the whole issue. The tires seem to be sitting the same as they were, there's bogart drag rims/tires on the front, so it is pretty easy to see if they are leaning/pointing off in a goofy direction. Another question, the small rubber points in the openings up in the engine bay, are those supposed to be centered in the opening into the engine bay? I assume that they are and that's some type of eyeball alignment point for the factory, if it is, I need to adjust one side (how I don't know)

The suspension is gonna get set on scales when the car gets the motor swapped, I'm just wonderign if it's a real good idea to have teh alignment done or not... over the winter I plan to try to get the k member and a arms for it, so when that goes on I already planed on having it done then.