Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Frustated with brake drag (wife's car)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frustated with brake drag (wife's car)

OK, I'm at a loss to correct this problem with my wife's Alero. Hoping you guys can help me out. I know it's not an F-car, but I've always been impressed by the knowledge / experience here.

2001 Olds Alero w/ ABS, 90K miles. She's getting what I'd characterize as brake drag - when she lifts off the pedal after hitting the brakes, the brakes stay slightly engaged. Not really enough to slow the car down, but enough that the brake lights stay on. If you use your foot to pull up on the pedal the brakes come free.

It seems to be worse at faster speeds. When she's driving around town they'll stick for an extra second or two, at highway speeds they'll stick for much longer.

Seems to be worse on the front. When we first noticed the problem, the front brakes were hot enough that you could feel them radiating heat from a foot or two away. I replaced the front calipers and brake hoses (as well as all four rotors and all the pads), but the problem is still around. I've asked my friends that still work at GM to search for any bulletins or notices specific to this car, but nothing comes up.

My two guesses:
1.) Problem w/ the master cylinder
2.) Broken return spring in the pedal assembly (she's admitted she pushes off on the brake pedal when she gets out of the car, and her F1-style braking can't help either)

I'm tempted to just rig up a spring to bring the pedal back up, but I worry I'd be masking a problem w/ the master cylinder. As it is, I think I'm going to replace the master cylinder, and if that doesn't correct it, rig up a spring.

Any other suggestions?