Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Wheel Hub removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006 | 03:20 PM
Teching In

Default Front Wheel Hub removal

Does anyone have any input on removing the front wheel hub assembly from an LS1 car? I have the 4 bolts out and the hub is stuck in place. I can't hammer it too hard because I am afraid of damaging the bearings.

Since everyone is so curious as to why anyone is doing something, I'm replacing the wheel studs on the front of my '99 T/A. I've already done the rears. I'm replacing them because some of them are stripping and breaking due to too many wheel/tire changes (I change wheels/tires for autocross racing). I am installing the ARP hardened studs that I shortened to stock length (so I can use my chrome closed end wheel nuts).
Old 08-24-2006 | 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

WD-40? also, try putting the bolts partially back in and pound a bit on the bolt heads
Old 08-24-2006 | 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try tapping on the sides of the hub with a small sledge.
Old 08-24-2006 | 10:59 PM
Teching In

OK, guys, thanks. I tried to budge these things before I posted my problem. I tried WD40 and I tried knocking hard on the sides with a sledge. I tried prying and I even hit the back side of the flange, afraid that I could damage the bearing. I tried big channel locks, too. ROCNDAV, I hadn't thought of hitting the bolts. That was a good idea. And I thought I was halfway smart and experienced. Learn something new every day. After continuing to douse the seams in WD40, I had to bang the holy crap out of the bolt heads to finally get the hubs to start showing a little crack. I continued to bang evenly on all 4 bolts (turning the wheel lock to lock so I could get to them), and they finally came off. Now I just have to buy new bolts or use a lot bigger socket. At least I think the bearings are still good. Now on to other stuff after doing something that I thought would be much simpler.
Old 08-31-2006 | 10:09 AM
Teching In

Everything is back on and working great!

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Hub removal