Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Traction issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Traction issues

Lately, I haven't been able to have much fun with my 4.10s because of traction. Stock suspension + 245s = no go.

Right now, I'm at a bit of a decision point. I can either go with a new suspension setup - UMI non-adjustable torque arm, torque arm relocation mount, and single adjustable LCAs; or, I can spend about 1/2 the money and get 2 245 GS-D3s and have them mounted on the rear. I know both would help some, but I'd assume the suspension would help more, because while the GS-D3s might have some better traction than my current tires (Fuzion ZRi), they're still 245s. If I went with the suspension stuff, I'd probably toss in a set of SFCs also.

I really don't want to drop $400 on tires when they're only going to be a marginal help, when that would have gotten me more than halfway there on my suspension stuff.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

From what I understand and have noticed on mine, here's what I would suggest (in order or all at once):
tires
torque arm
LCAs

Which shocks does your WS6 have?
Old 08-26-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a regular T/A with a WS.9 hood, but the original stockers. I would be farther along on the car, but my truck decided to explode and I've been putting money in that. I know a good shock/spring combo would help a good bit too, but that's out of the budget at the moment.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If you have stock decarbons, I'd do shocks. I saw benefit literally everywhere: control, traction, comfort - with no downside. Tires, shocks, and TA would probably get you exactly where you want to go. Keep the stock springs and go with the Bilstein HDs or Konis if you wanna go premo. I went Bilsteins so I could get the TA sooner. Since I haven't ridden in a Koni-ized car, I don't know how much better they are... thankfully ( ).

Seriously, tires and shocks will make it a different car. Adding a TA will help plant the rear better than any other hard part you can add. Shocks were better than all my other suspension mods together, period. I've driven before/after TA on the same car and traction is night and day.

With just bolt ons, you could get an adjustable TA for $300 shipped or less, tires for $400-500 installed, and HDs for $400 shipped. Add some labor if you need to but that will make your car a whole different animal. Guarantee it.
Tires
shocks
TA
do it...
Old 09-02-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

use at least 295 tires
Old 09-02-2006, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have 315's with all those suspension parts and i still can not get traction