Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Torque Arm Issues (grinding while clutch breaking, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Torque Arm Issues (grinding while clutch breaking, etc)

OK, I put on a new UMI Adjustable Torque arm a few weeks back. Had no issues with it until last Wednesday. I was driving home and clutch breaked coming up to a light. BTW, its using the new torque arm mount in the clamshell of course. Anyway, clutch breaked, and heard/felt a fairly loud grinding in the middle/rear of the car, basically right below me. Didnt know WTF it was, so I babied her home. Lots of road noise, too.

Well, took her back out again today, and it had the same issues. Also, when backing up, you can feel the rear of the car lift up just a little, its just not right at all and its easy to notice. Same grinding when clutch breaking (I only did it to test if the problem still existed).

SO, I took her to the auto/hobby shop and found that the damn mount had pushed itself out of the clamshell twords the front of the car, but not completely, about halfway. So, I take weight off the rear suspension (I was on a drive on lift to just look at it) and put the mount back in the clamshell, and tighten it REAL right this time - it didnt appear to be damaged.

Well, I made it about a mile or 2 out of the shop, and the damn symptoms came right back again. Ive yet to take a look and see if it popped out again, but Im willing to bet it did. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Launching!

Oh, also - while my technical knowledge is limited, I assumed some of the grinding noise came from the driveshaft being at an angle it shouldnt have been due to the torque arm not being where it should have been - but thats just a guess.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm.....It appears that the stock clamshell mount you are using to secure the front of the TA to the transmission is not strong enough. Basically the torque arm prevents the rearend from rotating clockwise excessively as the car moves forward, and basically has to absorb the pressure that the rear end is applying to it. The aftermarket TA's are more stronger than stock and can handle more pressure applied by the rearend. This pressure is transmitted from the rear to the front of the torque arm, thus the stock joint you are using is not strong enough, and results in failure. Also if you pinion angle is excessive (ie positive) this will also contribute to increase loads on the torque arm as positive pinion angles result in greater traction, but increased wear.

I would look into getting a TA relocation kit which relocates the front of the TA from the transmission onto a new trans. crossmember. The kit comes with a new mount that is more stronger than stock, and also eliminates stresses on the transmission (since the TA will be now bolted to the crossmember). Also check your pinion angle and make sure its set to 2-3 degrees negative.

Last edited by Switchblade; 08-30-2006 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Switchblade
Hmmm.....It appears that the stock clamshell mount you are using to secure the front of the TA to the transmission is not strong enough. Basically the torque arm prevents the rearend from rotating clockwise excessively as the car moves forward, and basically has to absorb the pressure that the rear end is applying to it. The aftermarket TA's are more stronger than stock and can handle more pressure applied by the rearend. This pressure is transmitted from the rear to the front of the torque arm, thus the stock joint you are using is not strong enough, and results in failure. Also if you pinion angle is excessive (ie positive) this will also contribute to increase loads on the torque arm as positive pinion angles result in greater traction, but increased wear.

I would look into getting a TA relocation kit which relocates the front of the TA from the transmission onto a new trans. crossmember. The kit comes with a new mount that is more stronger than stock, and also eliminates stresses on the transmission (since the TA will be now bolted to the crossmember). Also check your pinion angle and make sure its set to 2-3 degrees negative.
I'll check the pinion angle, but keep in mind - Im running TSP Duals at the moment - not sure if I can do the relocation kit.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MightyBobo
I'll check the pinion angle, but keep in mind - Im running TSP Duals at the moment - not sure if I can do the relocation kit.
Get the umi relocation kit. It works with tsp duals.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ILLWS6
Get the umi relocation kit. It works with tsp duals.
Thanks!
Old 09-05-2006, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

bobo what did you come up with? Did you change the pinion angle? I ask because I put my stock springs back in the rear and now my car is doing the same, I'm almost positive I need to adjust the angle.