Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP linelock. whats your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelg589
Ok guys I have a SLP line lock kit waiting to be installed. I bought it off a freind who never used it in his 2001 Mustang. Now I know that I'm going to need to run different lines because the ones in the kit I have are for a mustang. But it will work in my 200 trans am right? Also, Will the line lock cause problems with my ABS? i'm confused.
It will work, I'd highly consider changing the switch setup...it is not safe.

The lines themselves, the fittings from them will not work either. As you mentioned you'll need to fab up lines yourself.

We do offer the lines w/fittings for the solenoid if you need them. Unless you purchased it dirt cheap, you may be better off leaving the kit as is, reselling it to a person that has that year mustang.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok sjm so just so i get it right when i order it the front mount is the one pictured correct?
Old 09-13-2006, 04:46 PM
FormerVendor

Yes, that is the front mount line lock kit that I have pictured. SJM-2B001X and choose the "front mount" as the option in the drop down box. Kits as always are in stock ready to ship.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you for your time i appreciate it
Old 09-13-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

guys what does a line lock do?and what are the advantages
Old 09-13-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SJM, I have a question for you. First of all, Im pretty interested in purchasing a line lock for my 1992 Pontiac Firebird, I see that your 3rd Gen sections are coming soon, so hopefully by the time Im ready for purchase, they will be up.

Are your Line Lock Soleniod rebuildable?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

All this talk about the SLP switch setup being unsafe. What is so unsafe about it? I have the switch hidden in the ash tray so there's no chance of bumping it on. Is it simply because it's a constant on and not a momentary?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for the delay in pics 408. Been kind of busy trying to wrap this car up. So darn close!!! Anyway...here are the pics. Im not 100% happy with how I have it arranged. But it fell into place pretty easy. Only alittle tweaking of the lines that SJM provided. I also dont have the line lock wired in yet.

Justin
Old 09-20-2006, 08:11 AM
FormerVendor

For clarification as Justin has commented, his car is a 3rd gen Camaro with a modified LS1 brake system. The kit used was designed for an LS1 brake system for an LS1 car therefore personal adjustments were necessary to adapt them into his car of which he has not completed.

Originally Posted by GETGONE
All this talk about the SLP switch setup being unsafe. What is so unsafe about it? I have the switch hidden in the ash tray so there's no chance of bumping it on. Is it simply because it's a constant on and not a momentary?
It appears SLP attempted to mimic our kits but have fell short in design. Their circuit is not NHRA legal, it is unsafe. If the switch shorts, your line lock is activated. If you accidentally turn it on (or your friend in the car turns it on inadvertently or intentionally joking around) your line lock is activated. Cleaning your car, switch it on accidentally, your line lock is activated. You do not have an LED indicator which visually lets the user know the line lock is active.

All the above is dangerous, unsafe and potentially fatal.

Originally Posted by cooltc2004
SJM, I have a question for you. First of all, Im pretty interested in purchasing a line lock for my 1992 Pontiac Firebird, I see that your 3rd Gen sections are coming soon, so hopefully by the time Im ready for purchase, they will be up.

Are your Line Lock Soleniod rebuildable?
. All line lock solenoids we carry are rebuildable. We hope to have other sections completed shortly. We have recently purchased 5 acres of land and a new building which we are in the process of setting up. At that time, in the new facilities, we will be designing many new products for the automotive industry.

To reduce confusion of appearance of how our kits look installed, listed below are our kits from customers that were designed to directly fit the LS1 car. One is a line lock kit, the other is the ABS delete kit[SIZE=5].
Attached Thumbnails SLP linelock. whats your opinion?-sjm2abs41.jpg   SLP linelock. whats your opinion?-sjm-2b001blackmodified.jpg  

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 09-20-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:20 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Has anyone attempted to run a line lock on an A4 fourth-gen? I have trouble getting my brakes to hold my 'bird on the line after I've brought the RPM's up at the strip.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:24 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Has anyone attempted to run a line lock on an A4 fourth-gen? I have trouble getting my brakes to hold my 'bird on the line after I've brought the RPM's up at the strip.
We've had our Line lock kits for 4th gen F-bodies since ~1996 running without issues.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

I have ran SLP line lock for over 4 years, only one problem, the picture in instruction showed the selo up side down, I havd been worned of this before I ordered kit ,
all line fit great, I never have to pump brakes , only apply and hit switch, has never failed hold, never leak,, I have ran battery down twice because I left switch on for 8-10 days without driving car, would buy again , never had to blead brakes , not once,the way I installed did not need to blead even the first time on install
just my $.02' Johnny

BELOW is info I post quite a while back which explains how I did install AND did not need to bleed brakes still working after 4-5 years

LINE LOCK INFO

IS hole behind pcm , but I drill hole beside steering colum also ( drill from inside out ) put a peace of rubber hose in hole ran wire inside hose, then use same type wire wrap as GM,tie wrap to the big rubber hose comming over master cyl
I also mounted switch in ash tray
I have used this unit for4 years with NO problems ( well yes one problem :::SLICK tires )

PS ::Connect brake line to master cyl and line lock ,the second line which goes to ABS block start it but leave it loose,remove cap from master cyl and let the lines grivity bleed watch the loose connection untill all air is out and run pure fluid ( may shake the line a little to help bleed ( REMEMBER BRAKE FLUID WILL REMOVE PAINT
I placed plastic sheet over fender)if does not gravity bleed blow into master cyl and have some one watch for fluid at ABS block >>>THIS way you DO NOT have to bleed the brakes from under car- I had no problem of any kind >> NOW BEEN 4 YEARS ,30 K MILES --NEVER any brake problems
also the picture from SLP is UPSIDE DOWN install with the wire connection UP
Sorry for the long post, hope it helps

Last edited by SS SLP2; 09-20-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:07 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
We've had our Line lock kits for 4th gen F-bodies since ~1996 running without issues.
Cool. I was under the impression that the line lock was best suited for the M6 cars, and wasn't very automatic-friendly. Is that a myth?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Who here has installed their linelock themselves and has ABS? Initiallly, I wasnt going to try to install mine myself, but no garage around me will install. They say its too dangerous and a liability. The part I am concerned about is bleeding the system. I am not that experienced with this, especially a car that has ABS. Is there any special techniques that need to be done on a car with ABS? Also, do you only need to bleed the front when you install the linelock, or front and rear? Thanx, and sorry for tryin to takeover the thread.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:24 PM
FormerVendor

Regarding bleeding/changing brake fluid, this is a necessary job regardless of if you purchase a LL or not. Most brake fluid will absorb water over time, this lower the wet boiling point of the fluid, facilitates corrosion in the internal brake system and lowers efficiency of braking capacities.

Our line lock kits are relatively easy to install. Basic knowledge and a few hand tools are necessary. If you do not feel confident in bleeding brakes, I'd suggest leaving that portion of the install to the professionals. Regardless if a LL is installed in a system, bleeding brakes is done by the same procedure. If you haven't changed your brake fluid in a few years, don't just bleed the brakes, change the fluid.

Many shops may not want to touch installs as they cannot lookup install times in a mitchell, all-data or other estimating software...many do not want to work on something they are not familar with. If the shop is busy, they probably feel they can make more on fast quick repairs i.e. brakes, mufflers and tires.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Read my post # 32 as to install, I agree you should flush system after xx amount of time, BUT if you install as I did , bleed system is not a problem I did not have any air get into my system AND I have ABS and ASR
again just my .02' Johnny
Old 09-20-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Normally I wouldn't post this, but since SJM has chimed in here I will. Maybe im just missing something stupid.My SJM LL holds for ****. Even on the very slightest of inclines/declines (Im talking like dips in the pavement here) the LL wont hold, more or less when trying a burnout. I thought initially that I might need to re-bleed, but my brakes work absolutely fine, no mush, nothing, feels normal like before the install. When I activate the LL I recognize that everything seems to be working properly, it just wont hold. FWIW, this was installed by a board sponsor.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:36 AM
FormerVendor

9silverbird8, We've never had anyone to date have issues with the LL solenoids we include in our kits. All line locks we use are rebuildable. All hold ~3000psi line pressure which is far above what is necessary to hold your brakes. Typically, when a customer has an issue with a manufactures product, the best resource is to call manufacture. We have not had a call-in from you, which is what is necessary. Resolutions come easier vs. the boards. I'd be happy to assist you with your issue.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Steve,
Haha...sorry. I didnt mean to confuse anyone as to the appearance of your installed kits.

I have seen a few installed on 4th gens, everything falls into place beautifully. In fact... I only had to do MINOR tweaking for it to fall into place on my car.

I havent tried the LL out yet...but I plan too. oh the poor driveway

On the SLP LL... I had a buddy that killed a couple batteries by leaving the switch on by accident. I plan to use the same set up as SJM provides...but with different switches. I already have a nice toggle for the master arm...and Im using the momentary on my shifter **** for the activation button.

Justin
Old 09-22-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SLP Line Lock here, installed it 2 years ago.

Directions were bad, but my mechanic was able to figure it out easily enough.

I didnt even realize the SLP switch being non NRHA legal, but I simply didnt like the idea of a toggle switch, and wanted a momentary.

After a month, I bought and wired in a shaft mount momentary switch.

Quick Reply: SLP linelock. whats your opinion?