Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone use Monroe Sensatrac for a stock replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well so far i have only installed rear shocks i am going to do the front soon i might choose a different brand up front then since they are difficult to do unlike the rear which was like 30 mins. If i ever blow those no biggie just take them off and get new units underwarrenty up front would be a bitch no doubt. What front shocks do you recomend i know the front monroes are like 75 a piece getting close to bilstien price unlike the rears which i got for 30 each side. What do you recomend for the front or did i already screw up and should just get the matching monroes for the front as well?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 8GTOKLR
they do float on freeway bumps and dips, make sure tire pressure is spec, make sure tire tread is good, its a decent shock for the "econo" person.
Do you have these shocks as well? I havent had a chance to get on the highway yet actualy but i did a test with push on the rear i mean on the old shocks i could bounce it probly 4 times as much no lie. So any shock that i would of put on the rear new would have gotten a positive review from me. Im just happy i got rid of those old worn shocks.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

I went againts a lot og people and went with the KYB AGX adjustable shocks. Yes, they are not the best, the adjustments are not as good as Konis, but for the price, they control my stock spring car better than the DeCarbons, napas, and monroe sensatrack. When the De Carbons took a crap on me, i went with the napas, i blew the front ones out asap and napa gave me store credit to order monroes. my right front monroe took a dump and the rear was as bouncy as stock, so i got the KYB's for 210 bucs and never looked back. I know there are better shocks out there, vut this is a weekend car that i cruise in and moderatley drive hard, so these KYB's are more than enough for me.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

so you got 4 kyb agx's for 210?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1amit

That's what I'd like to know. My KYB AGX's on the TA were like 350 for all 4 corners. Much better over stock and with the suspension all completed, I think they work well for what I do(a little bit of everything really).

I would love to put them on the Z28..but if you can get them somewhere for 210...geeeze, let the rest of us know where.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I got them them cause funds were tight at the time, and they gave me a good year of use. I have put around 15K miles on them, went on trips of 600 miles and 100miles each way a few times also no problems, my friend who is on this site also drove the car and found it too be a easy drive and he had a SS that had FULL BMR and Bilstein setup. His drove very nice and it should with all that he had. He did reccomend doing the bilsteins or konis if I ever got the chance which I am sooner or later.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea after a few days of driving with the everything people that are familiar with this shock has said is correct the shocks just get me by, the initial shock of going with a working shock from my old blown ones have already faded lol. So i am going to plan on another set to buy like bilstiens but as stated before when i get a nice paying job. And for the fronts i havent replaced yet i think im just gonna save all my pennies and when the time comes go a head and purchase hd bilstiens. Then when the rear are blow again if i have the money to spare buy the matching bilstiens or get another set of the sensatracs under warrenty.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1amit
yup, my cousin works for car quest. they get the fronts for 55 bucs and the rears for 50.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

I guess it really all boils down to what you want out of the car. You just wanna cruise around and look cool, don't care anything about performance, then the cheap shocks might do Ok for you. But then, why did you buy a performance car then? Unless it was just for the looks, it was because you enjoy that performance that you get.
The stock decarbons are for sure junk. BUT, Monroes and the like, are even worse ! Don't downgrade your car with that junk, please!
And these guys with the KYB AGX's ,well all i can say is they might think they got a decent shock, but that is just because they have not tried a better shock. Once you try some Bilstein HD's or Koni SA's, you wonder why you wasted you cash on the cheapo brands.
Seriously. The really good ones provide a smooth, non-bouncy ride along with vastly improved handling response and control. Well worth the money, IMHO.
As said. You get what you pay for. Why some folks like to get a performanec car then ruin it with cheap tires and/or shocks i never have understoop but to each his own.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The floating is what you don't want from a shock, at all.... let alone a new one. FWIW

A Year and 15K later they started to float, not when they were new, I never said they floated when they were new.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

so are Bilstein HD's a good replacement shock if your car isn't lowered & you aren't planning on lowering it?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
so are Bilstein HD's a good replacement shock if your car isn't lowered & you aren't planning on lowering it?
From my own expirience... YES!

I was VERY disappointed by the handling capabilities of my car, so I changed a few things, like LCA's, PHB, STB, SFC's... The result was only a marginal improved handling.

Then I bought the Bilstein Tuned Suspension Kit. I did not use the lowering springs from this bundle, but from the moment the Bilstein HD shocks were on the car... It was a night and day difference! Like a total different car!

But as far as I know, Bilstein changed the valving of the shocks and you should talk to someone who knows this stuff better, wether the current parameters are still suitable for the stock springs.

I'll repeat it again and again...
With a handling oriented car or even daily driven street car, the first step should be looking for quality shocks that are matching with the springs. If I knew this before,this could have saved me a lot of money and time....

Just my opinion....
Old 01-12-2007, 11:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

HD's are decent for non-lowered cars, yes. But I think they took a step back with a recent valving change to the rears. Still better than nothing, but there is second rear Bilstein we can use that's better (and it's shown for this car in catalog). Details aren't something I can give publicly about this because my research largerly gets swiped by cheapskates. However, I'm happy to talk to you about the changes and why, and a full set of 4 is $349.

All that said, it depends on what you are after from a shock. I personally find HD's to be a little lacking in rebound control still. The car isn't as crisp as I prefer. Crisp is not the same as harsh. BMW's with Sports suspensions are crisp...
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-22-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm deffinitely keeping your Bilsteins in mind when i get some more $

Quick Reply: Anyone use Monroe Sensatrac for a stock replacement?