Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS INOP, ASR Off, and BRAKE lights on

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
It is because of the tires in my situation. The lights are not on when you start the car it just comes on after driving a few miles. I have the ABS inop and BRAKE light on.

Ya know...this would be really weird, but my tires are REALLY bald. I wonder if the size difference is doing this?!
Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Billy_B4C
Ya think? The lights frequently "pulse" at times. Maybe i've got TOO much alternator...I think that it still has the OK Highway Patrol alternator (B4C). That's a fairly expensive "let's change that and see if it works" method, though. I'll just have to give it a shot, though. Thanks for your post and if anyone else has any ideas, pls let me know!
The Amp rating of an Alternator wont make a difference(unless it undersized for the vehicle). A properly working alternator will only provide as much amperage as the car/battery draws. You would know if the alternator wasnt charging(car would possibly die, etc.), but if the voltage regulator on the alternator goes bad it can lead to the alternator overcharging. The charging voltage should not exceed 14.8V. If it jumps over that than you know you have an issue.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by meangreen94z
The Amp rating of an Alternator wont make a difference(unless it undersized for the vehicle). A properly working alternator will only provide as much amperage as the car/battery draws. You would know if the alternator wasnt charging(car would possibly die, etc.), but if the voltage regulator on the alternator goes bad it can lead to the alternator overcharging. The charging voltage should not exceed 14.8V. If it jumps over that than you know you have an issue.
Yeah, I kinda figured that, and I do suspect the Voltage Regulator. I'm going to have to get it fixed regardless. I'll be selling this car within a week or two, I just bought a '02 SS LE with 27k miles!!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billy_B4C
Today my ABS INOP, ASR Off, and my BRAKE light came on all at the same time. I've done nothing at all to wheels, suspension, brakes. Just driving along and all three of those lights came on at once. Any ideas on what could have caused that?

Update: This is intermittent. Sometimes I start the car and the lights are off, but they all come on after a few miles. Sometimes they are already on when I start the car, and they stay on.
i had the ABS INOP light came on when i first got the car. the problem was low fuild in the rear end. top it off !! now its fine!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95formulalt1
i had the ABS INOP light came on when i first got the car. the problem was low fuild in the rear end. top it off !! now its fine!!!

Hmm...that's a thought. I'll give that a look, thanks!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your ABS lamp is illuminating, your system is not working, at that point...ABS is dead weight and is taking up un-necessary space and your brake bias it not being controlled.

We've got a kit to completely remove ABS and give you the ability to correctly bias the brakes from the use of a proportioning valve (right now you have no bias adjustment or control since ABS is not working...so this is a very good tuning tool to have).

If you don't care about removing weight, cleaning up the engine bay and having controllability over your brake bias, just leave it all alone, remove the bulbs and call it a day...the only other option you have is to possibly spend quite a bit of time/money trying to troubleshoot it to one-day again having to re-visit the same problems. What you're seeing is VERY common with the F-bodies cars, sometimes it is a dirty sensor…many times it is not.

Good luck with your car:-)
Old 02-13-2007, 06:05 AM
11 Second Club

How much are we talkin about here?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
If your ABS lamp is illuminating, your system is not working, at that point...ABS is dead weight and is taking up un-necessary space and your brake bias it not being controlled.

We've got a kit to completely remove ABS and give you the ability to correctly bias the brakes from the use of a proportioning valve (right now you have no bias adjustment or control since ABS is not working...so this is a very good tuning tool to have).

If you don't care about removing weight, cleaning up the engine bay and having controllability over your brake bias, just leave it all alone, remove the bulbs and call it a day...the only other option you have is to possibly spend quite a bit of time/money trying to troubleshoot it to one-day again having to re-visit the same problems. What you're seeing is VERY common with the F-bodies cars, sometimes it is a dirty sensor…many times it is not.

Good luck with your car:-)
I had the ABS scanned by a VERY competent tech that I know and trust. There are no ABS codes stored. It doesn't do this all the time, just intermittenly. ABS and Traction Control work fine when the lights are not on. I appreciate your offer, but I think I'm gonna keep my ABS. No offense, but this rather seems like a Napalm Cure.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

This is an electrical problem, period. I just had this the other day. Battery was too low to crank the car, but those same lights cam on for me, and flashed too. Haven't had them on while driving because after jumping the car they went off, but in my case it was purely electrical. I'd think your tech was on the right track.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
This is an electrical problem, period. I just had this the other day. Battery was too low to crank the car, but those same lights cam on for me, and flashed too. Haven't had them on while driving because after jumping the car they went off, but in my case it was purely electrical. I'd think your tech was on the right track.

I tend to agree. He's saying that it is probably my alternator. Specifically, the voltage regulator within the alternator. I may try that and see if it cures it.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

Billy, you're welcome. ABS and TCS may be working but only when your lamp is not activated. Only way I can see it the circuit working correctly would be if the lamp circuit is shorted which is not effecting the actual function of the circuit.

With due respect, I don't feel my approach is a napalm cure as you stated. It is a cost effective (and time effective) solution which has more benefits rather then negative effects.

I wish you luck.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Launching!

With due respect, I don't feel my approach is a napalm cure as you stated. It is a cost effective (and time effective) solution which has more benefits rather then negative effects.

I wish you luck.
Yeah, I guess that it could be effective, but I don't believe that totally removing a system b/c it needs repair/service is a practical solution. I mean, I don't take out my entire A/C system when I have a freon leak...or even need a new compressor. The ABS/ASR system is going offline b/c it is supposed to be doing that b/c there is a problem. I don't have to mention the problem I would have selling it b/c I have removed a safety system...I don't even wanna think about the liability issues.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 PM
FormerVendor

I see your point. My comments are not to argue with you:-). If you need it, then I'd advise not removing it.

A/C is more of a necessity and used quite often in most warm climates. Many folks never use ABS, or have even felt pulsing in their brakes. If you removed it, you'd feel no difference in normal driving. Actually, improvements can be felt in some circumstances since you've got the ability to adjust brake bias now to your setup.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn ive had this problem also, but only when i put my slicks on. the abs light goes on the e-brake light goes on and my abs doesnt work.. i guess im going to check the fluid and those sensors, hopefully its that. i hate seeing so many damn lights on when i have them on
Old 02-13-2007, 04:28 PM
FormerVendor

If you're running different diameter tires, ABS will not function correctly or not at all. Reason #10 why removing ABS is a good idea.

Like mentioned, removing these non-essential components which do not effect normal braking leaves less headaches in the end. I'd compare this modification to deleting your EGR circuit regarding usefulness to the driver.

I know our kit does not solve the issue of repairing ABS, but when a system does not function adequate and help you...is there really any use of retaining it?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Launching!

I see your point. My comments are not to argue with you:-). If you need it, then I'd advise not removing it.
No, no arguement or hard feelings! ...just a bit of a debate.

A/C is more of a necessity and used quite often in most warm climates. Many folks never use ABS, or have even felt pulsing in their brakes. If you removed it, you'd feel no difference in normal driving. Actually, improvements can be felt in some circumstances since you've got the ability to adjust brake bias now to your setup.
I can see what you mean about removing the ABS, but it's just not practical for me. I don't race my cars hard, I mod very little (bolt ons only), so I don't really have a "setup", unless you call "stock" a setup! lol! In fact, I've never even been to a dragstrip. I've run a couple of folks on the interstate from a high roll, but that is about it. I'm an IT guy, if that explains my approach to problems.

Quick Reply: ABS INOP, ASR Off, and BRAKE lights on