Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Before and after pics with Strano Springs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have made up my mind and thats the springs that I am getting.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Looks good! Wait until they settle!

For those of you wanting to get rid of your Eibach ProKits... sell 'em to me! (PM me if you will) I'm actually looking to get a used set.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

look awesome, seems to be a perfect drop
Old 10-04-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WADDISME
Here is another shot of the car since lowering -

[IMG][/IMG]

I have more if anyone wants to see more before and after shots.
i would to see more pics!! could u PM me??
thanks
mike
Old 10-04-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

They are on my computer at home. I will sent them tonite!
Old 10-04-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

thank you
Old 10-04-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They are on my computer at home. I will sent them tonite!
Me too!

If you could send me some tha'd be great
Old 10-04-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

looks great!! will the springs work ok with the bilstein hds?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

Here are some before and after pics from kind of the same angle:
BEFORE:
[IMG][/IMG]

After:
[IMG][/IMG]

Before:
[IMG][/IMG]
After:
[IMG][/IMG]

Before:
[IMG][/IMG]

After:
[IMG][/IMG]

Before:
[IMG][/IMG]

After:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice!
I think I may just have to go with them

What tire are you running?
The fronts look like BFG's and the rears I cannot tell, it seems the different tires are making the drop look different front to back.
It seems raked a bit, but I think the tire difference is exagerating it...ofcourse this is all just pics and would change in person.
Either way...looks good!

Let us know how they feel, I'm really interested.
I'll be running them with Koni DA's
Old 10-05-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Resident

They are BFGs on the front, but when I put my wheels on, the BFG 315s were out of production, so I just put the Sumitomos on for short term. Actually, the pic from the left side facing is a little deceiveing. It makes the rear look higher than it really is. The one from the other side looks more accurate. As for feel, to me it is the perfect combo for a DD and AX. I pushed my car pretty hard at Road Atlanta and the car handled great, never broke loose, lost control or become unsettled. But I was also following a pacer car. When I go back in Dec, I will get to go at my own pace, so I will find its breaking point. Actually, it will be the point where the car cannot correct for my lack of driving skills . These are the first lowering springs I have had, so I cannot compare to others, except for lowered cars I have rode it that beat the hell out of you during normal driving. Not an issue with this set up.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

HD's really don't have the valving to control high rate springs, and that's the case regardless of the springs being mine, or someone else's. Shocks are spring dampers, more spring rate and less travel for the shock to do it's work in therefore requires more damping rate.

Could you put these on with HD's? Yes, but you can put all kinds of parts that shouldn't be together, together. Should you use HD's? Not in my opinion. Some places say yes, but it's easy to say yes when you are making money. It's harder to sell parts when the parts needed are more expensive. But I continually try and tell folks what's right instead of just shutting up and selling them what they want over what they need.

Bottom line, HD's are valved for stock springs and don't have the damping in them to control more spring rate properly.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow... your car looks GREAT!!

Sam -- How would these springs work with a set of your revalved Bilsteins set for BMR springs? Would l need new shocks, too, or could I just swap the springs? Thanks!

Brian
Old 10-06-2006, 03:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You should be able to make that swap without issue. When I valve shocks for progressive springs, I tend to make the valving more for the higher end rate of the springs to make sure we have the damping we need to control the rate at all times.

Given the rates of the BMR springs, and the rates of mine we should have no issue with running Revalves for their springs on my springs.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Here is the link to the thread with my video of Road Atlanta. Keep in mind it was my first time ever axing, or pushing my car that hard. When I go back in December, I will be in B Class so I can go as fast as my skill will let me. By then I will have upgraded brakes (I am ready when you are Sam - Brembos avail?), repl Sumitomos on rear with BFGs, and get some more power somewhere. It didn't help that my passenger videoing is 6'2" and 260 lbs . But it was a blast. I will take any driving tips you want to share

https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-racing/588177-hot-lap-around-road-atlanta.html
Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks fun as hell!!!

How many laps did you get to make? what does it cost to run?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

z_speed freak - my driveway is pretty steep. I was concerned about lowering, but it is a non issue, and boy am I glad. Wouldn't want to have to change springs again!

NO NO NO... you mean you wouldn't want to have to MOVE or have the driveway redone....
Old 10-09-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

It is $275 for 1 day and $500 for both days. You get four 30 min sessions per day. Running behind the pacer car (Class C), I got about 7-9 laps per session. I got to push my car pretty hard, but not to the max because you are always following somebody. When I go back in December, I will be in Class B, which is no pacer car, so you go at your own pace. There is a Class A, but those cars are really fast. I cannot wait to go back. It is all I think about. The lack of brakes really hurts your speed on the back stretch because you have to slow down so much at the end. That is why I am doing the brake upgrade. It is such an adrenaline rush, better than any rollercoaster I have been on, incl the 122 mph one in Cedar Point. On the roller coaster you know you will make the turn, but on the track, it is not guaranteed. You need to do it. Let me know if you are going!
Old 10-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

What goal are these springs made for? Road racing or daily driving? I never had springs with such a high rate and I have some terribly bad roads here in Chicago. Are the springs or the shocks responsible for that jarring feeling when going over bumps? In my camaro I can feel them bad, but in nice luxury cars I can barerly feel the same bumps. My original shocks are definitely shot at 85K.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I built the springs for handling first and foremost. However, I don't run ballistically stiff springs like many folks do. Anyone who's been in my car can attest to the fact it's not a bone-jarring ride. Very firm, but not harsh.

Shocks have a TON to do with the ride. Crap shocks and soft springs will ride worse then good shocks (and good meaning proper for the job vs. not worn-out) and soft or stock springs.

Also many lowering spring are stiffer than mine are by some amount.

Bottom line is this. A good handling car, be it on the street, track or autox course has to be able to deal with bumps, transitions and so on. A brick race car is often not the best handling, most stable car it could be.

Quick Reply: Before and after pics with Strano Springs!