Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What to replace on my tired stock suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What to replace on my tired stock suspension?

My 1999 Z28 has 91k on it right now. The suspension is bone stock except for a shock tower brace and subframe connectors. Its feeling floaty and tired. The steering feels tight, but there is a lot of body roll. This is my daily driver and it will never see an auto-x or road course. Lowering is out of the question, it already bottoms out enough at the stock ride height. I'm also running the stock 16" wheels with a new set of BFGoodrich KDW's(awesome tire BTW)

I know the stock shocks are shot, and they are going bye-bye. Going to upgrade them with some Bilstiens or some other lower end shock, as money is tight right now. I'm also thinking of getting a larger front sway bar.

Is there anything else I should upgrade that will make a noticable difference? Any bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. that I should replace while I'm at it?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would highly reccomend getting a rear sway as well.

As far as what do you want out of the car, you still need to be a little more specific, and inspect your bushings tie rods etc, as if money is tight and they are ok no reason to replace them.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want it to handle better than stock. Get rid of the body roll, make it more tossible and light on its feet, and try to dial back the annoying understeer and plowing. Its a daily driver, and I'm fine if the ride is firmer, but I don't want it to be unbearable.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
My 1999 Z28 has 91k on it right now. The suspension is bone stock except for a shock tower brace and subframe connectors. Its feeling floaty and tired. The steering feels tight, but there is a lot of body roll. This is my daily driver and it will never see an auto-x or road course. Lowering is out of the question, it already bottoms out enough at the stock ride height. I'm also running the stock 16" wheels with a new set of BFGoodrich KDW's(awesome tire BTW)

I know the stock shocks are shot, and they are going bye-bye. Going to upgrade them with some Bilstiens or some other lower end shock, as money is tight right now. I'm also thinking of getting a larger front sway bar.

Is there anything else I should upgrade that will make a noticable difference? Any bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. that I should replace while I'm at it?
Dude, you freaking need SHOCKS!!!

The rest of the suspension would be based on what you want your car to do...

If you want a great corner carver, then THE most important part you can EVER buy for your vehicle is SHOCKS!!!

I can only discuss having a great corner-carver as opposed to a 1/4 miler suspension, but SHOCKS are THE most important...

Which shocks???

Well whatever you do, do NOT buy Monroe Sens-a-trac or whatever they're called, you'd be wasting your money.

I know you said that money is an issue, why don't you contact Sam Strano??? He is the suspension Guru for our vehicles, he'll steer you in the right direction, but you GOT'S to be honest with him in order for him to give you his recommendation...
Old 09-25-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I think the Bilsteins are a good choice for your purpose. Might as well inspect the balljoints, tie rod ends, hubs & bushings while things are out of the way - especially if you have another vehicle so the car can sit if necessary. Be prepared to cut off the shock rod due to the upper shock nut being rusted to the mount.

Hmm, I think your car came with a 19mm rear bar. Putting a bigger bar up front will cause it to push more in corners unless you balance it with a slightly bigger rear bar. 32-36mm front with 19-22mm rear bar seems to be the most common, depending upon driver preference.

I believe Sam is still at Nationals, but if you can wait a week or two, it would certainly behoove you to call him. He carries practically everything.