Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel locking up after brake install. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006 | 11:30 PM
On The Tree

Default Wheel locking up after brake install. Help!

Swapped the shitty warped rotors for a set of durastop/pbr pads on the front and noticed today that under solid braking my front left wheel seems to be locking up and not pulsing like it should with ABS. I have done at least 4 brake jobs on fbodys and never had this **** happen. What could I have messed up? Im thinking it must be something in the caliper. I dont have the time or energy to chase this down. What do you think?
Old 09-27-2006 | 07:34 AM
Banned

How are the floater pins? Your caliper moves on two pins that are supposed to move freely. If they're frozen and you didnt free them up and lube them it could be your problem. Also did you use a c-clamp to recede the pistons? IF you didnt do that part correctly you could have issues as well.
Old 09-27-2006 | 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Was the pad tight putting it in the caliper. I purchased new calipers and cheap value craft pads for a friends mazda and they had a locking up problem. Just brakes told me someone put powersteering fluid in the master cylinder and all the rubber seals were shot. It turned out that it was just some extra medal in the pad and once I used my dremel to trim it down everything has been fine.
Old 09-27-2006 | 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

if the piston doesn't go back into the caliper when you use a C-clamp then it is seized and you will need a new caliper...autozone does a like a core-exchange on calipers and you can get a new one pretty cheap
Old 09-27-2006 | 11:18 PM
On The Tree

I used a c-clamp to reduce the pistons as always. I have never lubed the floater pins so I guess I could try that?
Old 09-27-2006 | 11:28 PM
TECH Veteran
15 Year Member

make sure you don't have any bent pins

Quick Reply: Wheel locking up after brake install. Help!