Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wilwood 6-piston kit owner questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wilwood 6-piston kit owner questions...

What was the over all offset change with the Wilwood 6 piston big brake kit?
How was the quality and craftsmanship of the kit?
How long have you had the kit on your car?
How difficult has it been to get new pads for your kit?

Thanks for answering my questions!
Old 10-27-2006, 01:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I'm not sure what you mean by offset change, but I would assume your wondering about the brake caliper overhang which could potentially change what you need for offset on some rims. On my 6 piston LS1 Wilwood kit the overhang was 2 5/8", I believe ? If you go to Wilwood site you can download PDF dimensional for the exact specs.

2. Quality and craftmanship are very good in relationship to the price of the kit. If your doing the LS1 front 6 pistion two piece 13" kit, it will be straight-forward on the install. You might have a little problem with doing the wire-tie on the two piece if you have never tried this before. Tool to do it correctly can be a little expensive if you buy it out-right.

3. I've owned my Front 6 piston, two-piece 13" kit (LS1) & Rear 4 piston, two-piece 12.2" July of 05, but I did not install the kit until sometime in March 05 I think ? I don't have any miles on the kit because the car has been sitting ever since.

4. Pads are one area that Wilwood needs to work on. You won't have as good of a selection of aftermarket pads available like some other brake companies, but Wilwoods pads are very good ( IMO ) with a wide range of application.

Jeffstar, I think I remember your car from way back in the day around 1999 or 2000 did you use to have green Z28 with a CC306 ?

Good luck on your search for brakes (Wilwood makes a very good product for the money)

Last edited by 96silverram; 10-27-2006 at 01:31 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96silverram
1. I'm not sure what you mean by offset change, but I would assume your wondering about the brake caliper overhang which could potentially change what you need for offset on some rims. On my 6 piston LS1 Wilwood kit the overhang was 2 5/8", I believe ? If you go to Wilwood site you can download PDF dimensional for the exact specs.

2. Quality and craftmanship are very good in relationship to the price of the kit. If your doing the LS1 front 6 pistion two piece 13" kit, it will be straight-forward on the install. You might have a little problem with doing the wire-tie on the two piece if you have never tried this before. Tool to do it correctly can be a little expensive if you buy it out-right.

3. I've owned my Front 6 piston, two-piece 13" kit (LS1) & Rear 4 piston, two-piece 12.2" July of 05, but I did not install the kit until sometime in March 05 I think ? I don't have any miles on the kit because the car has been sitting ever since.

4. Pads are one area that Wilwood needs to work on. You won't have as good of a selection of aftermarket pads available like some other brake companies, but Wilwoods pads are very good ( IMO ) with a wide range of application.

Jeffstar, I think I remember your car from way back in the day around 1999 or 2000 did you use to have green Z28 with a CC306 ?

Good luck on your search for brakes (Wilwood makes a very good product for the money)

Yes, that was me! I ended up going with the C5 setup because I want to put more of my slush fund into the power side Thanks for your feedback. Do me a favor when you get the car up and running send me a PM and let me know how those brakes do.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 6 piston kit from Precision brakes. I've been happy with it. I get pads from Wilwood, Carbotech and Ferodo. I get Carbotech stuff direct, Ferodo's came from Strano parts and I can pick up Wilwood pads locally. There are pads available and they are cheaper than C5 or F-body pads (of the same compound). I typically pay $99-129 a set for fronts and some are less.

On an LS1 car, I'd skip the rear Wilwoods. They are smaller (thinner) rotors than stock and the stock brakes work great (we often wish for less rear brake, not better ones).
Old 10-27-2006, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with trackbird about the rear brakes. I only did the rears because I wanted to keep a matched look on the car. The rotor is more thin, but the OD of the Wilwood is still larger on the rear (I think stock rear is 11.8 ? and Wilwood rear is 12.19") not to mention the rear is a two piece setup and lighter than the stock LS1 rear, also the rear does use a 4 piston caliper. I also upgraded the rear because I'm getting ready to move up to a 14.1" 6 pistion front soon. Figured the bias would be more balanced with a 14.1" front and a 12.2" rear

Quick Reply: Wilwood 6-piston kit owner questions...