Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Konis it is, but stock springs or?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Everyone stop. First thing you have to realize is that things meant get bent ouf of shape in forums or by e-mail. And that's why I don't do setups by forums or e-mail. I don't want anything being mis-interpreted. Now, I will say that as of more recent times people do take things they've learned from me and run off to buy the product elsewhere. That annoys me a bit. But, as long as I was given the chance for the sale, I can live with not getting it.

Sometimes folks have their own shops, or friends who can get them parts. I can't blame those folks for trying to help their friend. On the other hand, I work awfully damn hard and spends some long hours on the phone with folks to later find out they just used me for my knowledge.

If I'm not close enough on price, let me know. That's information I might be able to use with my vendors to help get a better price. There are valid reasons and times for someone to use my information and buy elsewhere hell.... I'll even tell them when it is and say fine.

However, I carry a lot of product, I sell for competitive prices, but more than anything I spend a HUGE amount of tme with tech info and general "gotcha" warnings, as well as letting folks *don't* need half the crap they wanted. That saves them money and gets them a proper setup. Those are the two biggest reasons I get wound up. Everyday I talk to folks who have spoken other shops, and it's so rare (almost never) to hear of anyone else telling them the truth. Most places just sell the customer whatever they want. They make more money like that, and I kick myself for not doing the same. But I can't, I want folks to have what works. Conversely, I'm looking out for them, I'd be kind of nice to have some of those folks give me some consideration back.

Note, this doesn't happen a ton. I'm not saying everyone is doing it. But it has happened and continues to happen. And that's the reason I don't give out information as freely on public forums as I did. It's the only way to protect what I've worked for.

And while I don't think I've spend 40 hours on one car, I bet I've come close over a period of time, mulitple calls, etc. And it's not uncommon for me to spend an hour or more with someone on the phone just one time. And that takes time away from other customers, which are possible sales I'm not making to concentrate on, and help the person I'm talking to. Again, what's the service worth?

I'm not mad at anyone here. I don't really recall any situation here that makes me angry (and there might not be one at all). I'm just laying my card on the table. I'm not one to hide my feelings, and especially when it's my business that's involved. And it's my only business, no "real" job here. I do this all day, everyday, it's how I make my living. The point about 40 hours and getting paid for 30. That was just to show that folks wouldn't like not getting their due for the work they put in.

That's all.

FWIW, The DA's that are being sold on the real cheap. They are being sold on the real cheap because they are OLD STOCK. Laying on their sides for at least 4 years, which does the seals no good. And a number of people have had issues with them leaking and failing. Will every one fail? Probably not. But then again DA's are more fragile than SA's anyway, so why take the chance. You're not saving any money even with the cheap DA's vs. new SA's. But you think you are getting something for nothing. That's fine. Meanwhile I don't hide the fact I OWN DA's, and DO NOT RUN THEM on my car as I feel the SA's are just as good and less fragile.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-27-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was told by the Koni rep over the phone
Old 10-29-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f50nut
That's what I was told by the Koni rep over the phone

he was just quoting Sam Strano, is all

har har har..
Old 10-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rokn Red
I've read stock springs are OK and some say not.
Keep the stock springs and do the 3/4" Koni/heater hose drop
Old 10-30-2006, 10:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Also, DA's do NOT have the lower perch height.

And laugh all you want. I've got plenty of happy customers as well as *proven* experience. And sell more Koni's for this car than anyone else in the country does. I also own and have used each Koni shock for this car on many, many spring setups, so I'm a useful person to help advise and setup your shocks, or combination of shocks, springs (and anything else).

BTW, we are a very small company. 3 people. We don't have wads of cash to advertise in 4000 places. You all know me/of me because of the things I eluded to before. Information that you count on, competitive prices, and the fact I personally own one of these and use it, and use it hard for handling purposes. I also drive it on long trips (in case you think it rides like crap, it doesn't) since I still get 27 with the things I have done.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Last edited by Sam Strano; 10-30-2006 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Konis it is, but stock springs or?