Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New front brake setup, what do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffstar
In fact, what exactly would the problem be that it would create?
The main problem would be a reduction of brake effectiveness. Now, before anyone argues with me that pressure is determined by piston size (which it is), there's something else at work to consider.

A pad makes friction where it touches a rotor. Rotors do not transfer heat very well internally (they do it, but not well). So, if you could heat a 4" wide section of rotor with a wide pad, you'd typically be better off than trying to heat a 3" wide section of rotor with a thinner pad and counting on the rotor to "wick" the heat to the last inch of rotor that you don't have touching the pad (like with the 4" wide pad in this example). So, you might see slightly earlier pad fade due to heat with a pad that's overhanging the rotor (instead of making full contact). However, for street use, it's not likely to be much of an issue.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trackbird
The main problem would be a reduction of brake effectiveness. Now, before anyone argues with me that pressure is determined by piston size (which it is), there's something else at work to consider.

A pad makes friction where it touches a rotor. Rotors do not transfer heat very well internally (they do it, but not well). So, if you could heat a 4" wide section of rotor with a wide pad, you'd typically be better off than trying to heat a 3" wide section of rotor with a thinner pad and counting on the rotor to "wick" the heat to the last inch of rotor that you don't have touching the pad (like with the 4" wide pad in this example). So, you might see slightly earlier pad fade due to heat with a pad that's overhanging the rotor (instead of making full contact). However, for street use, it's not likely to be much of an issue.
If it was hanging off a 1/4" or so I could agree with you. However, it's over hang is less then .5 mm and the over hang is at the beveled edge of the rotor which is also .3mm or so and only a tiny tiny section of the arc of the rotor.

So say, a .66 mm of the rotor, temporarily, upon revolution comes out behind the pad "could" have an impact on brake effecitvness?

Seems almost impossible. You kept telling me to "Be Careful here"...were you warning me that this could be a big issue and be a safety problem of some sort? I'm really confused now. This doesn't seem like an issue in any way to me, just a novelty point, which in fact I appreciate the explanation. However I got the impression from you that this was some major issue and using my stock calipers with the LG brackets was a huge no-no. Seems untrue at this point and it's perfectly safe and practical to use the factory caliper with the LG bracket.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

The pad overhang isn't the end of the world. I wanted to explain why it could be if it were worse, not so much in your case.

The rest I'll address in a PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep addressing it here please.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jeffstar
I got the impression from you that this was some major issue and using my stock calipers was a huge no-no. Seems untrue at this point and it's perfectly safe and practical to use the factory caliper.....
Originally Posted by SLIKWS6
Keep addressing it here please.
We were just discussing the upgraded strengths of the C5 hardware (calipers, PAB's and such) and that GM engineered it for the larger rotor as an upgrade as a package and the reasons I prefer to keep all of those components in use as a group instead of using the F-body parts that don't quite fit exactly. It's my preference (which I feel I have good reasons for) which is why we went to a PM. You didn't miss much.

Quick Reply: New front brake setup, what do ya think?