Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Will a rod-ended panhard rod cause or increase noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006 | 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Default Will a rod-ended panhard rod cause or increase noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH)?

I'm going to get lowered and I know that I'll need an adjustable panhard rod to re-center my rear end. I'm thinking about buying the rod-ended version so that I have no rear suspension bind. Will a rod-ended panhard rod increase NVH? I'm wondering, because part of Spohn's description says that it will increase road noise. FYI, I think I'll get UMI's chrome moly double adjustable panhard rod. Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 10-22-2006 | 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, it does.. but nothing to the extent that rod ended LCA's will.

I noticed a small difference.. you just need to make sure you know how your car sounds before, so you don't freak out when it makes noises.
Old 10-22-2006 | 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Most people say it doesn't. If you are concerned with that another option would be a poly bushing on the body end, and a rod on the other.
Old 10-22-2006 | 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

As long as it's a good quality rod end, you'll hardly notice (it's minimal). If they are cheap ends, you will very likely notice and be unhappy. Cheap ends rattle because they have clearance in them, or wear and produce clearance very quickly. I'm running QA1 XMR12/XML12 rod ends on my PHB and after a couple years and many autocross events on sticky tires, they finally make a slight noise on broken pavement (or driving down a dirt road might make it "chatter" or rattle a little bit). It's not irritating and I haven't worried about it. If I had an aftermarket exhaust, I'd probably never hear it. Just buy good quality parts and you'll very likely be perfectly happy with them.
Old 10-22-2006 | 04:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

They'll be okay at first, but over time, they'll get noisier. You can replace the rod ends at that point, and they'll be quiet again. How long they last depends on the driving conditions and the roads where you are. For performance, you can't beat a rod end. For daily driving comfort, it is all in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.
Old 10-22-2006 | 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing I'd like to add what would be also important to have minimal noise with a double rod ended bar is to not reuse the stock bolts and with the new bolts and nuts, you should should torque them down real good. These steps seem obvious, however there are a few people that purchase double rod-ended bars with quality rod ends (e.g. QA1 XM's) and still can't figure out why they have wierd noises and rattles to begin with.
Old 10-22-2006 | 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

One of mine rattled since day one, but the others were fine....After a year or 2 I think they are all making noise. I kind of got used to it and it is nothing a little music doesn't drown out.

I'll probably replace mine during the winter.
Old 10-22-2006 | 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

if u care about performance first than it wont matter, it wont make too much noise, turn up ur music
Old 10-23-2006 | 06:35 PM
On The Tree

The QA1 XMs will probably last at least two years of daily driving and autocross, maybe longer if you use Seals-Its to keep out the road grit. I've replaced mine (which are the aluminum version of the XM) once on general principles after an act of stupidity (by me), but they were still fine when I removed them after several years on the car.

Sooner or later, though, the ends will need to be replaced, but that's hardly anything to worry about. It isn't hard, and doesn't cost that much.
Old 10-23-2006 | 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice
20 Year Member

From: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

pretty much the same song as everyone else. Ive been running a double rod ended bar for about 4 months now. You can definitley hear it back there but it is by no means unbearable or annoying. And, on smooth roads you'll never know its back there. Also, keep in mind the double rod end bar can be adjusted on the car which is nice.
Old 10-23-2006 | 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Most people say it doesn't. If you are concerned with that another option would be a poly bushing on the body end, and a rod on the other.
what i got on mine, works great and didnt get anymore than stock

Quick Reply: Will a rod-ended panhard rod cause or increase noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH)?