Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rotor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Replacement

I need new rotors and was thinking of replacing them myself but i have never replaced rotors before. can anybody tell me what is all involved in replacing the rotors? the car is a 99 Z28 by the way.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You take the wheel off, put jack stand under the car just incase it was to fall so you dont get hurt, take a flat head screw driver and stick it in behind rear brake pad and brake caliper and pry steddy pressure to release brake away from rotor then take I think it is a 3/8 allen head socket or same size allen head and take the 2 bolts out and brake caliper should come off then if your rotors have never been off they should be 2 little things (I forgot what you would call them.lol) take some side cutters and cut them off (they will be on your wheel studs you will see them if they are still there) and slide your rotor off get you some brake kleener and clean your new rotors and reverse proceder. Dont worry about the little things that I told you to cut off chances are they have already been took off.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds pretty easy. i was just wonding if you needed to remove the caliper.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ds_mwarren.htm
Old 01-02-2007, 03:58 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SLVR_99-Z
sounds pretty easy. i was just wonding if you needed to remove the caliper.
It's a piece of cake, easy job.

You have to unbolt it, but don't need to disconnect the lines. Just don't hang the caliper off the line, if I need to have it loose for a while, I usually use a coat hanger or something and tie it up to the suspension.

Make sure you use locktite on the caliper bolts when they go back in. They seem to like to work themselves loose otherwise, and having a caliper bolt fall out while you're driving is no fun.