Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

anyone notice SLP has Koni Yellows on Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 02:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone notice SLP has Koni Yellows on Sale?

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...15&BIG=70015-1

if these are the same as regular Koni Yellows, that an awesome price
Old 11-10-2006, 03:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that kinda looks like bs...SS's didnt come with koni's on them, like it states....and bilstiens are different...soooo why is it saying koni, but putting off 1le bilstiens?
Old 11-10-2006, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I didn't get that last time I looked at the page. But whatever I already bought mine and depending on which Konis those are I paid 45 dollars more.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you do a search, the purchase of these shocks has been discussed numerous times.

There are risks involved in buying them.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...15&BIG=70015-1

if these are the same as regular Koni Yellows, that an awesome price
They are DA's and do not have the lower perch (if you wanted to use that to lower your car).

Originally Posted by staringback05
that kinda looks like bs...SS's didnt come with koni's on them, like it states....and bilstiens are different...soooo why is it saying koni, but putting off 1le bilstiens?
The 1LE package came with Koni DA's, at least in the LS1 years. To get a 1LE, you had to order an SS (based on when I tried to order a car at least). I don't think they phrased it well.

And, as Mitch said, a quick search will turn up info on those shocks.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mitchntx
If you do a search, the purchase of these shocks has been discussed numerous times.

There are risks involved in buying them.
It's still one helluva deal...If they fit your needs.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02SS#406
It's still one helluva deal...If they fit your needs.

And don't leak (which is at least part of the info you'll find in the other threads). The information I've seen is that some of them have been stored long enough that the seals have dried out and they have started leaking soon after installation. And Koni generally says that DA's have no warranty (at least that is what they said when I bought mine, others claim otherwise and maybe something has changed).

Many have had no trouble with them, others have. If you have trouble and get hosed on the warranty (and I don't know if you will or won't), it's no longer such a deal. On the other hand, several people seem to have had good luck with them. As long as you know what you could be getting into, then you've made an educated decision (either for or against buying them).

This is the condensed version of the threads that Mitch said to search for. But, I'll recap it here to save anyone who didn't find it, or didn't try to find it, some unexpected aggrivation.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by trackbird
And don't leak (which is at least part of the info you'll find in the other threads). The information I've seen is that some of them have been stored long enough that the seals have dried out and they have started leaking soon after installation. And Koni generally says that DA's have no warranty (at least that is what they said when I bought mine, others claim otherwise and maybe something has changed).

Many have had no trouble with them, others have. If you have trouble and get hosed on the warranty (and I don't know if you will or won't), it's no longer such a deal. On the other hand, several people seem to have had good luck with them. As long as you know what you could be getting into, then you've made an educated decision (either for or against buying them).

This is the condensed version of the threads that Mitch said to search for. But, I'll recap it here to save anyone who didn't find it, or didn't try to find it, some unexpected aggrivation.

WERD, I'm one of those folks who bought my DA's from SLP back in '04 and the rears are blown I have them set two full turns from soft, shouldn't have to be that way, I've been having to stiffen them up 1/4 turn 8 times in order to keep my rear the way that I want it...

When I get the $$$ I'm gonna call Sam and buy the SA's for the rears and replace the rear DA's.

At least the fronts are good though, no problems there.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

I thought the yellows had a lifetime warranty?, at least I had no problem getting my rears replaced by koni. Also when I spoke with Koni about the shocks leaking oil, the Koni representative told me the shocks are suppose to leak oil. Is that correct? Cause all my konis are doing that.

And I did not mean to bring up old information, just seemed like a great deal to me
Old 11-10-2006, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

SLP is selling those shocks that cheap because they have been sitting on them for at least 4 years. Are Koni's supposed to leak? No. A little seeping of oil in certain places is fine, but in other places is a big issue.

Because they are hydraulic devices, and use rubber seals I wouldn't want to use, or recommend something that's been sitting stagnant for at minimum some 4 years. Carlos and I discussed this at length when he bought his from them, I warned him and you can read in his post what happened. You might buy them and be just fine. You might buy them and be screwed. Even if they are warrantied, which is questionable you have a lot of time and effort (and maybe cost) in removing them, sending them in and waiting for an adjustment.

New shocks are more reliable. SA's have the provision to lower that the DA's don't. And you can look at the price of DA's anywhere else to see what they are supposed to sell for. SLP is ignoring that because they don't have to keep Koni off their backs, and they want the shocks gone and out of their hair. Being they want them out of their hair, you also have to ask yourself what kind of support you'll get from them if you have a problem with Koni and a warranty claim.

All things to consider.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Resident

A little seeping of oil in certain places is fine
yeah thats what I was referring to

Thanks
Old 11-10-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Even if they are warrantied, which is questionable you have a lot of time and effort (and maybe cost) in removing them, sending them in and waiting for an adjustment.
Being they want them out of their hair, you also have to ask yourself what kind of support you'll get from them if you have a problem with Koni and a warranty claim.

All things to consider.
Two major points here...I paid to have them installed, so that means that I will either remove them myself(highly improbable, not enouge space in a single car width garage), or pay someone else to remove them for me, and the other problem with that is that I will not have the vehicle to use AND I'll have to wait at LEAST a couple of weeks to send them back to SLP and for them to fix them for me(and they probably won't as some others have had that issue with the rear DA's and SLP didn't support them for **** ) and in the meantime I won't have a car...

So, I'd rather get the SA's, switch 'em, THEN find someone that will fix the DA rears and once I get them back I'll put them on the shelf probably in the same area where Sam has his DA's, as he switched to SA's on all 4 corners and hasn't gone back to his DA's since, right Sam?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Koni handles the warranty claims, not SLP (or me). But I work with Koni and don't blantantly disregard their Minimum advertised pricing, and also do a lot of other work including $3k+ sets of race shocks with them quite often. In short, we work together a lot, and the few times that Koni didn't want to warranty iffy shocks, I have been able to work out a solution because of the relationship I work hard to maintain.

And yes, it is correct that I myself own a set of DA's. DA's that are *not* on my car as they are do nothing to make my car faster, but lots to mess it up. I took them off because I would try and screw with the compression setting to find speed and/or drivability. And each time I did, I made the car worse. So I just took them off for singles and just solved the issue.

Bottom line is this: With these, you are buying old stock shocks, that do not have the lower perch provision, and who's compression adjustability is useless in most cases (frankly it's a crappy adjuster/design), and a shock that has more parts and is more failure prone as well. And you paying just as much for them as a nice new, set of SA's. DA's at normal 30% off retail prices sell for around $1250/set, 4th gen SA's @ the same discount point are $828.80 a set. I'm in business, you'd think I'd want to sell the more expensive shock. No, I rarely sell DA's because I don't believe they are worth the cost. That belief doesn't change even when you can get a set on the cheap somewhere. As a matter of fact what SLP is selling those shocks for it *LESS* than what I buy them for from Koni. That right there ought to tell you how desperate they are to move them....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, this just goes back to the saying that you get what you pay for. If it's a steal, then someone is getting ripped off, and it's most likely going to be you, the consumer.

I haven't trusted anything with "SLP" on it for years now. They are a desperate company trying to stay above water and that's not the type of business that will take care of you and provide quality service.

Thanks for setting the record straight Sam.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
They are a desperate company trying to stay above water and that's not the type of business that will take care of you and provide quality service.

Proof? Facts?
Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Proof? Facts?
I was making a general statement with regards to the fact that since they lost the capital generated by selling SS's and Firehawks, they have to be hurting financially.

Just a personal assesment about a company and wasn't meant to bash, but was a simple observation that anyone else would make.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I was making a general statement with regards to the fact that since they lost the capital generated by selling SS's and Firehawks, they have to be hurting financially.

Just a personal assesment about a company and wasn't meant to bash, but was a simple observation that anyone else would make.
Thats fine with me. I was not trying to start nothing. I just wanted to see if they were in financial trouble or something else. I do know SLP got into the Mustang side of the house.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait wait wait, let me get their strait. So Firehawks came with adjustable konis???
Old 11-11-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Wait wait wait, let me get their strait. So Firehawks came with adjustable konis???
1LE cars had the Koni DA's on them. Not the standard Firehawk (as far as I know at least).
Old 11-11-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Non-sponsor links removed by Admin