Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake issues

Ok, I ax my car alot and I haven't had any problems until lately. Couple events back after a few runs my rear brakes began to smoke so I drove the car around to let them cool. There wasn't an axle fluid on them or anything.

Now, this past weekend they seemed as though they were locking up. Coming through the finish at 70+ mph under hard braking, the rearend would began to fish-tail. I noticed my ebrake light was on but my brake was down..I didn't notice an ABS INOP light, however. I did get reports from some about tire smoke under braking and I could sell rubber after every run.

Anyone have any issues similar to this? ABS issues? Sticking calipers? etc, etc..
Old 11-16-2006, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check the e-brake cables to make sure they work properly and aren't stuck. Then check the attachment point to the back of the brake.

Can you move it by hand and apply the e-brake on each wheel individually?

If all of that looks and seems to work fine, then pop the rotors off and see if the e-brake pads are thrashed.

Remember your e-brake uses a drum style pad setup on the inside of the rotor, and not the caliper brakes on the exterior of the rotor.

If ABS was an issue I'd think you'd be throwing a ABS Inop, Traction Light, or a SES code.