Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just threw my UMI LCAs on...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Just threw my UMI LCAs on...

...at my friend's house, took maybe 1hr, and that was taking our time and i had to run home in the middle to get another 18mm socket. I went home (up the block) to get a socket after they were on hand tight. Ride felt better but they were noisy So I came back and finished it up (stupid to stop in middle, I know), threw 1.5 pumps of marine grease in there, torqued to 80ft/lbs, and DAMN. No more noise! This is my ONLY suspension mod (UMI DA PHB going on later tonight probably) at the moment, and it's worth every penny. 99% of my squeaks, creaks, rattles, and bangs are gone from the rear of the car (stock 103k mile stamped steel pieces of garbage FTL), and the car just feels more "in tune" with the road, if that makes any sense Just wanted to share my joy, thank you.

-J
Old 11-21-2006, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that much difference huh. Is it different just daily driving? Does the car just feel more solid? Spill the beans. I am replacing my struts now but I have the rattle and squeeks I'm trying to work out of the car, perhaps LCA are next?
Old 11-21-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

I drive my car every minute I can which is normally every day, in any type of conditions. Roads leading to my friend's house are kinda shitty, upon turning out of his driveway and driving up the road, I could FEEL the bumps a little more, but the car felt like far less of a tugboat and more like an actual car. I didn't hear a peep from the rear of the car, and everything else has 100k+ miles. I never took the car to the track in stock form so I have no frame of reference on that, sorry. Car feels a good bit more solid (my previous car was lowered with adjustable JIC coilovers and an assload of suspension work, so I'm kinda in tune when it comes to feeling differences in the car ) just from 15 minutes of driving. Sorry for the huge dissertation, but that's my opinion on it...

-J
Old 11-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

i agree. i just got my new umi lca's/ relo brackets put on today and i seem to really like them so far. I only drove for about 5 minutes but from what i could tell it felt way more tighter and eliminated some of the rattling and squeaks i was getting plus I had 145K on my car so looks liek some new shocks are on the horizon.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is it sad that I really want to do this soon and only have 20k miles on my SS?

SFC's on this weekend, but maybe I should put my exhaust idea off for a bit and do suspension first ... its almost too tempting
Old 11-23-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are they teh poly/rod or rod/rod ended LCAs?
Old 11-23-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Neither... poly/poly. My PHB on the other hand is poly/rod and I'm hearing some noise from the rod end (which as I understand it, was to be expected), a faint tap tap tap tap tap tap as I go down the road. Good news is that I can only hear it when the windows are up and I'm coasting out of gear (which is basically... never).

Demon it ain't sad, I wish I had done suspension from the get go to be honest. I'm gonna do TA, SFCs, shocks/springs before anything else motor wise

-J

Quick Reply: Just threw my UMI LCAs on...