Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Roll Cage Design

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Cage Design

Does anyone have a good roll cage design or know where i could find one. I will be making a roll cage out of chrome moly. Taking the back seat out isn't a problem. But I would like to keep all other interior parts in if possible. Thankz for any input.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you looking to be legal for a specific class or anything?
Old 11-24-2006, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

No, my car is pretty much stock. I go to Wyotech and I can get all the chrom moly I need for around $150 since my school buys it in such high quanity. Im in a fabrication class right now and wanted to use my car as a project. So I either need some nice pics, blue prints, or just go at it with a measuring tape and welder
Old 11-25-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

check out wolfe's page for pics,best I can think of
Old 11-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Launching!

You should also review various sanctioning bodies' roll bar requirements to see what they call for. Most of them will have the same or similar requirements, but there may be some significant differences as well (particularly depending on a car's classification). My point is if you're looking to become a chassis builder you will need to know what the various requirements are. So you may want to review those rules so you can build a cage/roll bar that will be safe, pass tech, and provide improved chassis rigidity.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also if you havent played around with chro-mo before I would use mild steel instead because its much more forgiving.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you can end up with a bunch of junk in the car if the chro-mo isn't welded correctly. Also another vote for looking at sanctioning bodies, SCCA, NASA, NHRA have different requirements depending on what you're doing.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to WYO tech then why not just sit in the car and imagine what you can do. If you cant see the finished product in your head then dont start. Creativity is what makes you good in this business. Being able to copy a design is easy. Its coming up with new ideas that is the hard part.

225-343-9029
Old 12-01-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like has been said, check out the rules in whatever racing you want to do.

That said, be sure to note the differences between drag race and road race cages. A drag cage gives equal protection to the driver and passenger. A road race cage gives much better protection to the driver. Basically, the main difference is that a drag cage has a continuous horizontal brace on the main hoop, then 2 additional braces that go from the horizontal bar to the floor (though why you'd want to brace the horizontal bar vertically is beyond me). A road race cage has a continuous diagonal brace running from passenger floor to driver's head in the main hoop. Then, the horizontal brace is welded (in 2 pieces) to that brace.