Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Switch to tunnel mount torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006 | 07:41 AM
12 Second Club

Default Switch to tunnel mount torque arm?

Okay, I did a search and went through 20-30 threads and couldn't find an answer so if this question has already been asked 1,000 times (and I'm sure it has), I apologize.

The question: At what HP/Torque level is it recommended to take the torque arm off the transmission tailshaft? I finally switched over to a 12 bolt late in the season and never got it to the track after. Now that I'm down for the winter, I'm planning my mods. I already have bolt-in UMI 3pt SFC's and a driveshaft loop. I'm now looking for a torque arm and panhard rod. The car will NEVER be anything more than a cam only car so we aren't talking big HP. If I buy a trans mounted torque arm, what is the likelihood of breaking the tailshaft on a 6000 rpm clutch dump on stickies? I'm trying to keep the weight down so that's one reason I'm not immediately jumping on the tunnel mount style.
Old 12-01-2006 | 07:53 AM
FormerVendor

Hello,

Theres no guarantee you will break it and no guarantee you won't. We have seen vehicles running low 10's with no issues and then 12 second automatics have broken it, so its hit or miss. Its not real common but can happen. I always recommend if the vehicle is running 10.50's or faster it is a good idea to remove it. If you haven't already purchased a torque arm then purchasing the tunnel mounted arm will not be a bad idea at all. The shorter arm will also allow better weight transfer.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thank you!
Ryan