Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Have Qa1's, need weight reduction!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have Qa1's, need weight reduction!!!

Ok, i have qa1 shocks all around and Qa1 springs up front. My car is a full weight car and the front springs are way too soft. My front tire is up inside my wheel well about 1/2-1 inch. So my question is how much weight do i need to get off of the front in order to get the ride height up about 1-1 1/2 inches. Oh and my front springs are 275lb springs. I dont wanna change them out because the car hooks up so good with them. I will basically do whatever i have to to keep them. New k-member, a-arms, battery relocation, etc. I just need to know what i have to do, thanks guys.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 425 Likes on 336 Posts

Put more preload on the spring. It will hold the car up.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
Ok, i have qa1 shocks all around and Qa1 springs up front. My car is a full weight car and the front springs are way too soft. My front tire is up inside my wheel well about 1/2-1 inch. So my question is how much weight do i need to get off of the front in order to get the ride height up about 1-1 1/2 inches. Oh and my front springs are 275lb springs. I dont wanna change them out because the car hooks up so good with them. I will basically do whatever i have to to keep them. New k-member, a-arms, battery relocation, etc. I just need to know what i have to do, thanks guys.
You can relocate the battery, take out the A/C, heater, compressor, condenser, all related hoses and ducting, remove the AIR pump, cruise control, remove the cats, exaust manifolds and the rest of the exaust system, remove the front bumper, insulator, headlights, blinkers, wires, fuses, hood lach, gut the hood, inner fender liners, foglights, everything that is plastic from inside, gut the dash, remove the passenger seat, rear seat, replace the diver seat with light one, take out the seat belts, center console, carpet, radio, speakers, side windows, regulators, glove box and move the PCM, and underhood fusebox inside. Than you will gain 1/2" at the front tires.
Seriously those 275# springs are way too soft. To get height, look into taller or 'heavier' springs. BTW don't get the eibach springs I got, the are not good I am just stuck with them till I brake open my piggi bank.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

I wonder if i can get a set of 275lbs, but that are like 2 inches taller than my current ones. That should move the ride height up about right.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
I wonder if i can get a set of 275lbs, but that are like 2 inches taller than my current ones. That should move the ride height up about right.
I know that this is probably not what you want to hear but your stock springs are 292lbs/in and are taller. That should be close enough.
If you want to spend money get Ground Control coil over conversion, than you can pick and chose whatever spring rate you want and set the height to your likeing.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

I did keep my stock sprins, but the bottom of them arent flat, so i dont think they will work correctly with the qa1 shocks. Does anybody know of a place where i can get a custom spring made at 275lbs, a bit taller, and with a flattened bottom. I know the stocks are close to the new ones, butdamn the new ones feel so good and transfer weight worlds differently. Before with my nittos on a cold evening at 2500rpms in 1st, if i gunned it, it would easily break loose. But with my ET street radials, new shocks and springs, oh and all rear chassis replaced, it just hooks and goes. I dont wanna lose that.