Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS problem in non-obd2 car

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ABS problem in non-obd2 car

I have an ABS inop light on a 93 formula...before I go on a wild goose chase looking for bad sensors and broken wires, is there a way to pull the ABS code to see what it is for?
Old 12-10-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought there was some way to jump the terminals on the old ports and the SES light would flash to the corresponding code.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is an article I found:

Chevy Trouble Coding
Q:The Service Engine Soon light comes on when I'm driving my '86 Chevy S-10 Blazer. The service manual says there's an "ACLR module" from which I can jump A to B to receive a code isolating the problem. The book, however, says on one page it's located underhood on the left side of the firewall and on another page that it's under the dash. Neither shows a picture of the box. Can you help me locate it?

A: Jumping A to B takes us way back. The correct terminology is "ALCL Connector" (Assembly Line Communication Link), which is located under the driver's side of the instrument panel. If it's not plainly visible, someone must have unbolted it and left it hanging around under the dash somewhere. The ALCL is a 12-cavity connector labeled A through M, but leaves out the I. With the ignition on, jump terminal A to B (a paperclip will work just fine). If the Electronic Control Module is functional then the Service Engine Soon light will flash a Code 12 three times (flash-pause-flash-flash x 3). The trouble codes, stored in the memory, will present themselves in the same manner going from lower to higher numbers. Write the codes down and find the appropriate diagnostic chart in whatever service manual you're working with. Always start with the lowest-number trouble codes first. The first repair may correct the higher codes at the same time. This is the old-fashioned way. A quality scan tool will plug into the ALCL and immediately give you the stored trouble codes along with a multitude of additional information to aid in the diagnosis of a problem. Happy hunting.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I went through a lot of BS with that on my car. After all the head aches I just took it to minekie(sp) they told me my rear sensor was bad, but reset the systme and it hasnt been on since.

Quick Reply: ABS problem in non-obd2 car