Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lightest susp. components

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightest susp. components

Who makes the lightest LCA's, PHB, and A-arms?

Does anyone know weights?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

The lightest LCAs and PHBs would probably be the aluminum units from Hotpart.com
Old 12-12-2006, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our LCA is 2lb 12oz ready to install, OEM is 4lb 8oz. Our PHR is 5lb 2oz; OEM is 5lb 8oz.

You can calculate what the rod-weight differences using the materials density. Aluminum is ~0.097 lbs/in3; steel is ~0.283 lbs/in3).

There is not much material that is used in a LCA (short bar), though aluminum is lighter, it also reacts differently under load. Aluminum designs generally used have thicker walls thus more volume to increase strength. Aluminum components (materials that seen other manufactures using will deflect more under load faster than a counterpart steel component typically seen in setups.) You'd have to either increase the wall thickness or diameter quite a bit more then what is out there to equate similar strength in steel.

I'd suspect an aluminum LCA compared to ours is probably very close in weight, though ours will deflect less (as well as many other steel manufactures setups). The aluminum PHR may have a slight edge regarding weight since it is much longer, on the down-side, it will deflect quite a bit more then a counterpart steel component.

I'm not going to calculate this for you, but if you are interested, take the rod-length times the volume of the material (calculate cross sectional area i.e. pi r^2 ...don't forget subtract inner from outer diameters) multiplied by the density and you will have the actual weight of the tube. (there probably is a calculator somewhere on the net for this as well). Rod ends can vary in weight quite a bit, this is where you can easily add/subract .5lbs. If you want to calculate deflection in materials, I can post the formula as well...

FWIW, though lowering weight does matter more when it's unsprung, there are many other areas I'd look at lowering unsprung weight first, our Bogart wheels, a rear-end, brakes etc...

Have a great day!

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 12-12-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With those parts, you'd be better off just getting whatever is cheapest, and not worry about the weight savings. While saving here and there adds up, you could probably do the same if you laid off soft drinks for a while, stopped eating Taco Bell every day, and took a massive dump before a track event.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not saying this is my only weight reduction I plan on doing...and yes, I understand there are better areas for weight reduction, and I'm addressing those as well

I was just curious about various suspension components because I can sell my heavy boxed BMR LCA's for plenty to someone I know and almost pay for the considerably lighter SJM control arms. The panhard rod isnt enough for me to worry about.

I'm looking into lightweight brakes, but I need to find something that will suffice as a daily driver.

Thanks for the info