Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do I need new springs, or did I get bad shocks, or...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need new springs, or did I get bad shocks, or...?

I recently ordered a set of Bilstein HDs, but when they arrived they came in an SLP box. At the time I didn't think the vendor I bought them from sold the SLP front shocks, so I didn't really think anything of it.

Well, I was traveling a couple of weeks ago and was caught in stop and go traffic, when I really noticed that I squat a lot when taking off and dip a lot when braking. It just doesn't feel right.

Other than the shocks, my only other suspension changes have been a UMI non-adj poly/poly panhard rod, UMI non-adj poly/poly LCAs, and a poly torque arm bushing.

I'm not sure what to do, I've been thing upgrading to 1LE springs? I've been planning on upping my swaybar size but don't know if it's good to do with this (possible) problem, or it it will make them problem worse, or what..

Any help appreciated.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shocks will control the rate of squat or dive, but they can't prevent or elminiate it. That's controlled by your choice of springs. I would not suggest buying springs just to elminate dive or squat, I'd buy what works for your intended goals and live with whatever dive/squat you get from those springs.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by trackbird
Shocks will control the rate of squat or dive, but they can't prevent or elminiate it. That's controlled by your choice of springs.
That's what I had figured, but I hadn't really noticed it until I changed the shocks...I guess I was trying to be more sensitive to any "imperfections" in the ride.
Originally Posted by trackbird
I would not suggest buying springs just to elminate dive or squat, I'd buy what works for your intended goals and live with whatever dive/squat you get from those springs.
Ok, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Banned

I'd say it's normal. You might be more sensitive to what's happening with the car with the new shocks. The 1le springs are not enough of an upgrade to make it worth switching, although I ran those for a while. Also keep in mind driving habits will dictate dive and sqaut also, you want to be more smooth.

Quick Reply: Do I need new springs, or did I get bad shocks, or...?