Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

any advice before install

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any advice before install

doing my new slp valved bilstiens tomorrow night - Any advise or common pitfalls will be appriciated.

Thanks Fella's!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

I would buy new upper springs seats and cushions and get new bottom cushions for the front,other than that it's pretty straight forward.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket22
I would buy new upper springs seats and cushions and get new bottom cushions for the front,other than that it's pretty straight forward.
Ya got some part numbers to go along with those parts?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

yeah! Did not know those thing existed. Can you pick those up at Autozone and are those the actual names?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

No part #'s from a dealer there $$$,just tell them you need the upper spring mount and cushion at any auto parts store,I use Orielly auto parts and they looked them up for me awhile back,I'll be doing the same here after christmas.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Tip 1: Put a little grease between the spring perch and the isloator (the hockey puck thing that makes the bottom of the spring sit level) on the front shocks. That way, if you don't get the tabs line up just right where the shock mounts to the lower a-arm, you at least have a chance to get it turned to the correct position.

Tip 2: When re-installing the Torx bolts on the driver's side shock tower, switch them the other side and replace them with the regular hex bolts from that side. This way, you can get a box wrench in there if you ever decide to swap again, rather than having to remove/loosen the brake booster again.

Tip 3: If at all possible, get a buddy to help. Even if they've never done it before, having an extra set of hands to get everything lined up and held in place is invaluable.

Tip 4: On the rear springs, start with the tails pointing the same direction and adjust the height by turning one if the rearend is uneven.

-Mike
Old 12-17-2006, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

update: Got the rear done, ran out of time on the front so those will be next weekend. Rear's only have already brought a smile to my face.... what a difference. Can not wait to get the front done. I went ahead and replaced the sway bar end links as well if anyone is reading this. Figured what the hell for $6 since they were right there. That and one broke.