Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP Bilstein with stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Bilstein with stock springs

I've checked around in the forums but couldn't come up with a for sure answer.

It seems that the Bilstein HD seem to be the shock / strut of choice since the SLP Bilsteins are a bit softer due to it being revalued for the SLP Eibach springs but was curious to know what might the benefits / consequences be if I used my stock springs with the SLP Bilstein shocks / springs?

Also, is anyone running this setup? If so, could you comment on the ride and handling?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have regular bilstein shocks/struts with stock springs, no problems. but they are not revalved.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 804 Likes on 613 Posts

the SLP's are softer on compression and firmer on rebound. Might be too stiff for stock springs tho.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by benoh
I've checked around in the forums but couldn't come up with a for sure answer.

It seems that the Bilstein HD seem to be the shock / strut of choice since the SLP Bilsteins are a bit softer due to it being revalued for the SLP Eibach springs but was curious to know what might the benefits / consequences be if I used my stock springs with the SLP Bilstein shocks / springs?

Also, is anyone running this setup? If so, could you comment on the ride and handling?
According to Sam Strano, the Bilstein HD's that are available now have gone through a recent change. The fronts now have the same specs as the front SLP Bilsteins while the rears have the same specs as the factory rear DeCarbon shocks.

Before I had the Koni SA's and Strano lowering springs installed, I was using the factory Z28 springs and the new SLP-spec Bilstein HD's. The one difference that I felt from upgrading to the Bilsteins from the factory shocks was that the car felt more comfortable to drive while going over bumps. The bumps felt less pronounced. As for an increase in handling, I don't know. And I still don't know even with the Koni SA/Strano lowering spring combo that I have now. I guess I'm not into the f-body's tight steering feel.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

^ thanks for your information. I was looking for a smoother ride and I hope I will achieve it with the SLP Bilstein shocks.

I found this post from the camaross forum ... just thought I'd post it for others who might have the same question as me.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458372

Quick Reply: SLP Bilstein with stock springs