Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which calipers to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which calipers to go with?

I'm looking to get some new brakes and an wondering if the stock calipers for my '98 TA will work fine or if there are some better ones that I can look in to? I'm going to have them painted red for looks and am also curious if anyone sells prepainted calipers that will hold up under weather and chipping?
Old 12-25-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 856 Likes on 655 Posts

you can upgrade to Corvette calipers if you use brackets and use 13 inch corvette rotors. The corvette calipers have smaller pistons than fbody calipers so they aren't best to use with the stock 12 inch rotors.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kaos_
I'm looking to get some new brakes and an wondering if the stock calipers for my '98 TA will work fine or if there are some better ones that I can look in to? I'm going to have them painted red for looks and am also curious if anyone sells prepainted calipers that will hold up under weather and chipping?
I also have a 98 TA WS6. I looked into all of this some time back and determined to get the best rotors available and stick with the OEM calipers. I personally believe the brake systems are fine but I don't race on tracks and such. Our brakes are similar to a Vette except in the rear, we have that weird caliper/shoe setup for the ebrake. The calipers we have are 2 piston and similar to the next step down from top of the line Baer systems, so very good. www.baer.com.

The cost for my entire set up was around $700 (Eradispeed Rotors, powder coat, seal kit, new pads, stainless steel inserts). If you upgrade to a 4 or 6 piston caliper system the front alone will cost $1,200 for Baer, $1,400 Willwood, etc.

As far as painting goes, get your OEM calipers powder coated.

Buy a rebuild kit for the calipers because you have to take the calipers apart and remove all the seals for the powder coater shop. Then take those and the caliper brackets to a powder coat shop and pick your color. They will know they are calipers and use the high temp coating. Many in fourms stated that you can't powder coat calipers for a variety of reasons, mostly stating they keep the heat in. I called Baer Corporate about this and they laughed, stating they have been powder coating their calipers red for years. Powder coat actually smooths out some of the rough surface look on the calipers too.

I had mine powder coated black and I can tell you they look like new, still shiny. Powder coat isn't porous like paint so they rinse off very easy. Nothing for the dust to stick to really. Mine have also been very hot since I live in the desert.

I also added Stainless Steel inserts on the back of the pads, the part you see from the street. I purchased the Baer Eradispeed Rotors also. I think its a great setup not only appearence but performance. I run the OEM brake pads. Baer said they provide the least dust and are the least harsh on their rotors.

Old 12-25-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark..the cost of powder coating was what If I can ask....Knowing the prices will vary with area....Im just trying to get a ball park...Im guessing 75 bucks
Old 12-25-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BitViper
Mark..the cost of powder coating was what If I can ask....Knowing the prices will vary with area....Im just trying to get a ball park...Im guessing 75 bucks
I just looked it up. It was $163.83 to sandblast, mask, rack, bake, unrack, and pack all the brake parts pictured above. They have to do some special prep to protect the machined areas when sand blasting calipers. Also had to mask, spray and bake them twice for the 2-tone color.

I remember I had a couple drinks before I dropped them off and allowed them to sell me on the two tone finish where the fins of the calipers were coated with "near chrome" finish.